Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #1

Share |

odor from maytag dishwasher

I have an older maytag dwu8860 '92 and I have a problem with a foul odor. I cleaned the inside with comet cleanser and pulled some food particles out of the drain on the bottom and it's better. I can see some broken glass under the drain cover and I think food may be traped under the drain cover. The drain cover is held down with tamper proof torx screws. I have a bit that fits this, but should I take this off? I'm worried about it because I have found that they put those screws in when you are not supposed to take them out, bad things happen like ball bearings and springs fall out and you can't get it back together. Also I checked it is draining properly, the water shoots into the disposal the with the same force it always has.
cep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Learning by Doing

There could be lots of sources of your smell including the drain. It's time for some general maintenance and cleaning.
- door seals notoriously collect smelly gunk, especially at the bottom.
- little plastic wheels and fittings also collect grotty bits of rotting food.
- Check underneath the dishwasher to make sure you don't have a leak that is causing floor or cabinet damage (that can smell too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cep89 View Post
I can see some broken glass under the drain cover and I think food may be traped under the drain cover.
Time to clean that out! Be cautious fishing out the glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cep89 View Post
The drain cover is held down with tamper proof torx screws. I have a bit that fits this, but should I take this off?
Yup. Be gentle with the screws and use a magnetic bit so you don't drop them. In my experience they usually just bite into the plastic so don't over-tighten them or you might strip out the plastic.

Also - I don't think 'dishwasher cleaner' is an oxymoron or a rip-off. It couldn't hurt to run some through once you remove any particulate.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #3

Thanks Leah,
I got the drain screws off but the lower spray arm won't let the drain cover come off. I did lift up the edge and used a shop vac to get the debris out and I used a product called dishwasher magic. It looks and smells clean inside now.
cep89 is offline   Reply With Quote