Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

Share |

Is This Normal? (frost in new fridge)

First I want to thank this forum for the help I got with my old fridge.

I have now replaced it with a new Fridgidaire Gallery, which I've had for two weeks. I'm a little concerned because frost/ice has shown up in the inside near the top of the freezer door and on the freezer door shelf. I don't think this is normal and feel it may be due to the sloppy job that the Lowes warehouse guys did when they switched the doors for me. The doors are slightly askew and the handles don't line up, although the door gaskets do seem to hold evenly all the way around. But as the photo shows, the gap between the doors is obviously bigger on the right... as a matter of fact, it is almost a full quarter of an inch more on the right side than it is on the left side. Very noticeable.

If anyone knows... is this normal for ice/frost to form here? I don't recall ever seeing anything like that before but I've never purchased a new fridge before so don't know. I'll try to imbed some photos, the first showing the frost/ice and the second showing the uneven doors. Any and all comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
DIY staff

No that's not normal----check the gasket fit by closing a strip of paper into the door---

It looks like an air leak at the gasket.

As to the crooked door---It's a 5 minute job to fix that----call for service--it's new and that should be covered.----Mike-----

Old 07-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply oh'mike.

I had already done the "paper test" for the gasket and did not find any obvious areas that could be leaking. The paper seemed to require the same amount of force (which wasn't much) to remove it no matter where along the gasket I placed it.

That's kind of why I thought it might be related to the crooked door.

I'm not sure if Lowes has service people or they are going to want me to call Frigidaire. I've read elsewhere that dealing with Frigidaire is not always pleasant.

When you say that the crooked door is a 5-min fix... is it something I could try myself?
Old 07-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
DIY staff

With the door open---look at the hinge plate---the bottom one on the big door needs to be loosened

and pushed over to the right a bit. Placing a stack of books under the outside edge of the door will help keep the door in place as you work.

Post a picture of the hinge assembly and someone will give you the exact directions.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
NACE Coating Inspector

wait until it is dark out and put a flashlight inside of the freezer pointing toward the gaskets and then turn off all of the lights in the house to see if you can see light around the door when it is closed. you may have to reposition the flash light a few time by aiming it directly at each gasket. you should not detect any light breaking the seal.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-16-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike3789 View Post
wait until it is dark out and put a flashlight inside of the freezer pointing toward the gaskets and then turn off all of the lights in the house to see if you can see light around the door when it is closed. you may have to reposition the flash light a few time by aiming it directly at each gasket. you should not detect any light breaking the seal.
Well that's a clever idea. Thanks... I'll try it.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

the crooked door is not causing the frost build up. You have an air leak somewhere around that gasket. Do call the Frigidaire 800 service number for help.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:47 AM   #8

Yeah call for warranty service, be a pest. get in their data base with this problem. This not uncommon, frost in that exact location, for Frig'd top frz'. they have no engineering service flash for this- as yet. although there's ice and droplets there, indicating big air leak, so maybe tech will be able to see where problem lies...don't mess with door. no adj at center hinge-other things need to be done for this-if it's correctable or they just say that's commercially acceptable=to them.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #9

Thanks for all the replies/suggestions. This is a very helpful forum.

Here's the latest...

I went to Lowe's, showed them the pictures and they told me to call their service number to have it looked at. (They don't have their own service people... they contract out, which is fine). The guy came this morning and checked a few things... the way the doors close, where the gaskets hit, the level of the fridge, etc. He took the freezer gasket off and looked at the door closing again. He said the gasket looks good, put it back in and said the seal looks good. He basically couldn't explain it. He said that he's never seen it that bad across the whole freezer like that. He said that bad gaskets usually show frost in one corner or the other... not across the whole front like I have it.

After checking front-to-back with his level, he said that the lean was good. And although the level showed good across the front (The unit was properly leveled side-to-side), he apparently felt like the fridge rocked a little (I didn't think so myself) and adjusted the right front wheel up a bit anyway. Not enough to make it start rocking, but enough that it is no longer level side-side... it leans to the left.

And that's all he did. He said he could order a new gasket but he doesn't think there is anything wrong with the one I have. I told him that I don't have time to wait for any new parts because my 30-day return is up in a week. Plus, I should not need any new parts for an item that is less than a month old.

He took a towel and cleared off all the frost/ice and said I should know in a day or two if his resetting of the gasket and "leveling" fixed the problem. I asked him about the crooked doors and he would not do anything about that, saying that the doors sealed well as they are.

At this point, I have until the middle of next week to return this fridge and either get my money back or exchange it for a new one. If I have to do one of those, I will exchange it because except for these problems, I do like it. So we'll see what happens.

Thanks again guys.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

if the service man can not fix it then have them replace it, you can not live with that going on inside your freezer. If you like the refrig. have them bring you the same model, I can assure you that that problem is not typical of the Frigidaires. That being said, I have seen and fixed that exact same problem not 2 weeks ago. I can tell you how it should be repaired but that will do you little good.
if the service company that came out to do your repair, did not know how to repair it he should have contacted Frigidaire tech support to get the answer. I suspect it was A&E factory service? Very unprofessional.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #11

It was clear to me that the service guy didn't have a clue as to what was wrong or how to fix it.

24 hours after the he cleared off the frost/ice in the freezer, it has begin to reform already. Still perplexed about this, I got on a step stool and felt along the door and gasket. I feel no air leaking out and the gasket *seems* to seal evenly all along the freezer door. One odd thing though. Along the edge of the freezer opening where the gasket meets the door, along the top, it feels slightly warm to the touch. You can't feel it when the freezer is open of course because the cold air rushing out. But when the door is closed and I place my thumb or fingers right in the trench where gasket meets freezer, I can feel that the steel is slightly warm. I wonder if that could be causing this problem. If so, is this fridge faulty or is it a design flaw? If it is a design flaw, then an exchange for the same model will have the same problem.

(It actually feels warm like that in a couple of spots along the vertical side of the freezer door too... just in spots though.)

Still considering my options.

Last edited by Old Lady; 07-20-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lady View Post
If it were me, and the ice reappears tomorrow, I'd get them on the horn and have them bring out a new one and take this one back. You made a good faith effort to make this one work, but I wouldn't mess around any longer, you must have better things to do
Old 07-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
It was clear to me that the service guy didn't have a clue as to what was wrong or how to fix it.

don't know what there is to consider, if the service company can not fix it and Lowes has a 30 day exchange policy, it seems pretty clear what your option should be.

If it makes any differnce a few Frigidaire models had a problem with air entering the freezer compartment from the defrost drain tube resulting in exactly what you see on yours. It is a very simple repair with a new drain tube kit from Frigidaire.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #14

Quote:
One odd thing though. Along the edge of the freezer opening where the gasket meets the door, along the top, it feels slightly warm to the touch. You can't feel it when the freezer is open of course because the cold air rushing out. But when the door is closed and I place my thumb or fingers right in the trench where gasket meets freezer, I can feel that the steel is slightly warm. I wonder if that could be causing this problem. If so, is this fridge faulty or is it a design flaw? If it is a design flaw, then an exchange for the same model will have the same problem.

(It actually feels warm like that in a couple of spots along the vertical side of the freezer door too... just in spots though.)
The slightly warm freezer door frame when the thing is running (as described above) is not out of the ordinary?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

absolutely not, there are refrigerant tubes that run inside there. The tubing serves 2 purposes, it eliminates condensation and it helps the system get rid of the excess heat.