Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 302

Normal for 8 yr. old Whirlpool compressor to be bad?

I do occasional repair for residents in my neighborhood. I was just wondering if it's normal to find what someone told me is a hard start capacitor wire up to a compressor (no relay/overload device on the compressor) - hard start (if that's what it is) is wired directly to compressor (8 years old) with female spade-type quick disconnects. These disconnects like they were made for terminal post connections - not just regular flat disconnects forced onto posts, but preformed (triangular shape) to hold the posts firmly.

This capacitor is a Supco brand, but no specs on it. Has two power wires feeding it, and three secondary wires C, S, & R. S-R ohms check was 10 ohms, but both individual readings of C-S and C-R was infinite resistance. Forgot to check for post to ground, but assumed with those readings that it make no difference.

Was just wondering if this was a factory configuration (having a hard start on it), or if they had trouble with this compressor and someone removed the overload/relay and installed the hard-start. Shouldn't the relay still be on compressor, with or without a capacitor, hard-start or othewise?

Last edited by justplumducky; 07-31-2012 at 12:02 PM.
justplumducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

the hard start kit was added by someone along the line, either because they didn't have the right relay or because the compressor was a hard starter. That Supco is a 3 in 1 unit, it replaces overload, relay and adds a start capacitor. My guess would be that the last person did not have the right parts and just threw that on there for a quick repair.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 302

Thanks for your reply hardwareman.

This fridge is only 8 yrs. old (I was told this is not very old for compressor to wear out normally?) Could the hard start be responsible for cooking the windings? R-S was 10 ohms, but nothing on C-S or C-R (infinity on both - never checked post to ground/compressor case). Hard start kit was slightly melted (plastic body) and cracked on same end.

Is having to put a hard start kit on (aside from just taking a shortcut for a no parts situation) usually a sign of impending doom for the compressor?

Is there any dangerous chemicals in the kit if I wanted to take it apart for a look-see.

Last edited by justplumducky; 07-31-2012 at 09:36 PM.
justplumducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

if the hard start kit was put on for a hard start compressor, then yes your just buying time before the compressor goes out. Sometimes they can go for years this way but that would be an exception. Lots of service guys will put the hard start kit on because it is universal, and just leave it on. that is not a proper fix, if you do not have oem parts put on the 3 in 1 temporarily and order the right parts. Seeing the hard start kit melting is a good example of why you do not leave them on there unless you have to.
Do not take it apart for a look see
justplumducky (08-01-2012)