No Water Presure In My Dishwasher - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

No water presure in my dishwasher

Any advice out there on how I can fix the water presure to my dishwasher? I cleaned the filter and it's only 4 year old maytag.

Advertisement

MrsFix-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

well, do you have pressure in the rest of your house? Any idea what the house pressure is?

I presume it used to work, right?

Does it allow any water to enter? If not, it could be a variety of problems. If it lets some in, I would look to the inlet valve. It could be partially plugged with miinerals or it simply may not be opening completely.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #3

The rest of the house is fine. The sink faucet was running funny so I cleaned the aerator and it was filled with sand. But now it works fine. The dishwasher gets some water but not enough to get the soap out of the dispenser or rinse the dishes. I think your right. How do I get to that valve to clean it?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 256

I got some good info from this website when I had to fix my washing machine. http://www.appliancepartspros.com/ , http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/
msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFix-it View Post
The rest of the house is fine. The sink faucet was running funny so I cleaned the aerator and it was filled with sand. But now it works fine. The dishwasher gets some water but not enough to get the soap out of the dispenser or rinse the dishes. I think your right. How do I get to that valve to clean it?
On my dishwasher, the valve is located behind the kick plate on the left side.
The water supply line is connected to this with a connector that needs to be tightened and loosened with water pump pliers.
My supply line is plastic, as is the connector.

Before loosening the connector be sure to shut off the water supply or you will be in for an unexpected shower.
When the supply line is disconnected, place a large, low tray under it and then have somebody turn on the water very, very slowly. Allow the water to run out into the tray until there is no sign of sand or debrie coming out.
Verify that you have good flow coming from the water line. Keep in mind that this is a HOT water line, and take care not to be burned.
After assuring that you have a good, clean flow from the water line, put it back together and try the washer again.
If it still runs slow, you may require a new valve as its likely a sealed unit.
You mention that you have sand in the water and sand in the valve is bad news.
A water filter should be considered, if you have sand in the water.

You must be on a well? When I was on a well, I had sand probs. also!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #6

Thanks Wildie! I'm going to give it a shot. Yes we have an artisian well that ran low last summer and brought sand in I'll let you know how it works!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFix-it View Post
Thanks Wildie! I'm going to give it a shot. Yes we have an artisian well that ran low last summer and brought sand in I'll let you know how it works!
Good luck! I'll be interested to hear how you make out!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,222

We had a similar issue when we first started using our well, but with the washing machine and toilets, not the dishwasher. Turned out the supply hoses to these items all had a filter screen in them that was clogging. Easy to fix.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #9

Well I think you should check it properly. what i feel that there can be a possibility of leak. So check it once.
meenakshidpfoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,070

there should be a small screen inside that water valve, most likely it is plugged with sand also. take it out clean it good and put it back in.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
there should be a small screen inside that water valve, most likely it is plugged with sand also. take it out clean it good and put it back in.
x2
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

From what I know about working on dishwashers, and from experience: The water pressure really does not matter to a dishwasher. Most, but not all, dishwashers use some type of float device to determine when the unit has enough water in it to start the cycle. A timer would not work because of different water pressure's at different locations. Say a timer was for one minute, at some locations with pressure at the 50# reading, more water would be let in than in a location with 40# of pressure in one minute, at one minute of timing. The PO's dishwasher should allow water to come in until the float device is satisfied, the proper water level would be reached, and the cycle should start. The PO does not actually state what his/her problem is.
Thurman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #13
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
. The PO's dishwasher should allow water to come in until the float device is satisfied, the proper water level would be reached, and the cycle should start. The PO does not actually state what his/her problem is.
no that is not right, true it operates on a float switch but it also is timed out. Usually a dishwasher fill cycle is for around 120-180 seconds depending on brand, so even if it took in only a cup of water it will start its cycle anyway.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #14

I think Thurman makes a good point.

A better indication of a clogged inlet screen may be longer times to fill and raise the float valve to shut the water off.
I would still check the sre the inlet screen though.

In addition to that I think I would disassemble the parts in the bottom of the washer under the lower spray arm. I have seen some strange things in there, broken platic forks, food wrappers, etc. I have even seen cellophane* and numerous things you would not expect to be there that had not been diced up and sent on through to the pump and expelled.

The few I have worked on just snapped together and made for easy disassembly.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #15

Hardware, are you saying the timer will advance whether the float valve is up ot not?

Actually, the inlet valve is also timed, if I am not mistakened. So, if the sreen is clogged, the washer will not get the amount of water needed in the time alloted. Ho may be only getting a "cup full"of water. That would mean low pressure, right?

I guess the best thing would be to check from the saddle valve onward to the inlet and everything between it and the pump if necessary.

As you can see, I did not spend a lot of time with dishwashers.

Advertisement