Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #1

Share |

Newbie with Elec Dryer Question

I'll start with saying thanks for all the great info, lots of knowledgable folks on this site, similar to Hearth.com(another favorite of mine). So far I've found all the info I've needed just lurking.

My wife says to me last night that the dryer(Fischer & Pakyl DEGX2) is not drying our clothes. I started the dryer in all modes(auto-dry and timed dry) and no heat. I unplugged the dryer and took the front cover off to access the heater element. It seems there are 2 elements. I read 63 ohms across one of the elements and 13 ohms accross the second element. Both of the thermostats in the heater sheetmetal enclosure have continuity across them. There is a red button to reset the heater which I didn't check continuity across before pushing but when I did push it the switch clicked and seemed to reset(the button didn't depress after pushing the first time).

Before reassembling the entire dryer I was just wondering if the lint(1/8") on the sheetmetal heater enclosure might have overheated the heater to cause the overload(red button) to trip. Also, should I do more troubleshooting prior to putting the dryer back together?

Thanks in advance for any information.

joatmonone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #2

That could have been it, but also check for a kinked hose, plugged up hose or on the outside of the house where it exost check the screen to see if it's plugged up.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #3

The dryer vents directly out the back of the dryer through the outside wall. The run is about 12". That is mostly clear, some lint on ID of vent pipe so I'll clean that up but no blockage.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

if that lint build up was covering the louvers on the heater box that can cause the reset to trip. Those louvers allow air flow across the heating elements, if they are clogged the elements will overheat kicking the reset .
Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #5

The lint was mostly on the top cover of the heater enclosure, there was a little bit of lint in the louvers and I vaccuumed that out.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:10 AM   #6

Keeping the lint filter clean is a must as well. Airflow is the key to keeping the dryer operating properly.