New Water Heater Won't Light.. - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New water heater won't light..

Hello.. New to the forum and would like to get some help.. I just installed this new water heater and I'm not able to light the pilot light.. I followed the instructions and I can see a spark.. I also hear gas flowing through.. I tried resetting the themacouple was there it didn't trip. I contacted sears and they have a tech coming out tomorrow but would really like to see if I can figure it out myself.. Any help would greatly be appreciated..

Advertisement

jaysquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,232

Do you hear the ignition source going off? The clicking noise?

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #3

Yes I hear the click and I can see the little spark through the viewing window.....
Old 12-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

how long have you had the pilot depressed?. if the gas line was taken apart it has air in it that needs to be purged before it will light. sometimes you just need to hold the pilot depressed for a longer time. did you try lighting the pilot with a grill lighter to see if there IS enough gas at the pilot?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
how long have you had the pilot depressed?. if the gas line was taken apart it has air in it that needs to be purged before it will light. sometimes you just need to hold the pilot depressed for a longer time. did you try lighting the pilot with a grill lighter to see if there IS enough gas at the pilot?
Well per instructions ive held down the gas button at the most 90 seconds while I click on the igniter.. I'm afraid to do more than 90 seconds since I dont want the thing to blow up and ruin my pretty face.. I've done this about 5 times now and the status light won't come on at all..

There is gas coming through because I hear it and I kinda loosen up the gas line and was able to smell a it.. Plus my water heater and furnace kind of share the same gas line and my furnace fires up fine.. I was thinking of lighting it with the torch light but per instruction it said not to try it.. I've never messed with a water heater before.. 5 days ago I didn't know squat about them.. I mostly work on cars but have never messed around home appliances...
Old 12-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #6

Also I wanted to add that during the installation there was some leakage and water got on the controls.. It wasn't underwater but there was some splash of water.. Also I live in utah and we've been getting a lot of snow.. The closet where the water heater is kinda cold due to the vents.. I was reading that it takes a little bit of time for the thermacouple to warm up.. So i dont know if that has something to do with it as well..

Last edited by jaysquared; 12-28-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 524

Sounds like you don't have the air purged out of it yet. Sometimes these can take a while. The orfice on the pilot is about twice the diameter of a human hair so it takes a while to get the air out.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
Sounds like you don't have the air purged out of it yet. Sometimes these can take a while. The orfice on the pilot is about twice the diameter of a human hair so it takes a while to get the air out.
Do you recommend to just keep pressing the pilot and letting gas and air keep coming out then?? Or is there a faster way to get purge the air out??
Old 12-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #9

Just wanted to give an update.. The technician ended up coming in today since I couldn't fix it.. He had trouble getting started as well.. He checked everything out and it everything seemed to be working fine.. Gas was there and the vents were fine.. He ended up widening the spark by putting the igniter apart from the metal and that ended up lighting it up.. So looks like it was a manufacturers mistake..

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to jaysquared For This Useful Post:
hvac benny (12-29-2012)