Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Kenmore Range 790.92604 wide fluctuation in oven temp

I just received my new Kenmore range today and I was going to bake some cookies. To test the temp I used my digital thermocouple thermometer. The temperature was set at 365-degrees.

The temp would drop to around 335 before the heating element would cut on (by watching the indicator light) and would go over 400 before it would cut off. My meter only goes to 395 before it reads HHH as being out of range. The temp remained in the "over 400 range for the balance of the 9 minute cooking time. My cookies we on an expensive insulated cookie sheet and the bottom of them still burned before they were done.

Also, the metal top that goes around the glass top got very hot at the front and not just because I opened the door. It was so hot I could only touch it for a couple of seconds before I had to remove my hand.

Is this unit "normal" or defective or need some calibration or replacement sensor?

Thanks!!!

tkolarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You have to [especially with cookies and on that oven=hidden bake unit] pre-heat AT least 1/2 hr. then should cycle within very narrow band.

Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,030

sounds like you have a problem with either the sensor or ERC. Calls Sears now and see how much Sears Cares.
And no the top of the oven should not get that hot.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #4

Top of oven limit-UL; glass/ceramic=203*. metal 183*.. pretty hot! by the by for the other poster;this is a Frigid' product [790].
Old 09-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Well, the technician just left here. First the range was operating at about 45-degrees above the set temperature. He adjusted the unit down to the units max of 35 degrees but it was still 10 degrees over. So he swapped out the temperature sensor. Now the temperature is as it should be even though it is still set at 35 degrees below factory setting!

Also, the top that encloses the glass top got very hot when he tested it and continued to be extremely hot even though the temp sensor was replace and the temperature was adjusted down 35 degrees. He checked the top and there was insulation there. So no one knows why its like that, but it is going back as soon as we choose a different model.

Every time I buy crap like this I feel like someone has personally robbed me! I know I shouldn't but I do. I am fixing to subscribe to Consumer Reports to choose my next model.

Thanks all!!
tkolarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #6

CR may recommend that one. you never know..next time-to accurately check that temp-it has to pre heat at least 30min and with a -good-temp tester read the swing differential for a couple of cycles. on electronic controls it's very narrow. the sensor is easily checked with an ohmmeter-he replaced it to make you happy. or try to. i think this unit is working how they designed it-he didn't check it correctly. no tech would turn down a warranty control to max setting[assuming that corrected problem] and say it's fixed, which he was hoping for. ..if you can get them to take it back-don't get another Fridg' or one with a hidden bake unit.