Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

New hookup water and ice dispenser not working

I have just installed a Kenmore 3 door fridge and have a 1/4 inch line from an RO system connected to the water hookup. There is 60 pounds pressure, no kinks in the line and I know there is water getting to the solenoid. When I push the water dispenser I can hear the solenoid click in . Manual says it may take a few minutes for water to fill the system. Have held the button for a long time and still no water. Turned the ice maker on and it says it can take up to 24 hours to make ice but none so far after a couple of days. Does the ice maker have to be on and full for the dispenser to work? I have water in the filter but can hear no water running trying to fill the system. Any ideas what else I can do?

billybarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

connecting refrigs to RO systems can sometimes be a problem, usualy not enough pressure. The dispenser will flow slowly and the cubes can sometimes be half formed. If you have water at the filter you should get it out the dispenser, Hold it for 15 seconds release it wait 5 seconds , repeat until water comes out, probably just a lot of air to be bled off.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Is it a new fridge?
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #4

You're getting water to the filter but none out-either filter or filter head is bad..that's the only thing that's common to both ice and water..in any event,as H/Wman pointed out, you're in for problems connected to an RO system..
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #5

I know nothing about reverse osmosis and its effect on the water system of an appliance. I do think that if it is not a new fridge, it is possible the filter needs changing, especially, if it has been used an area that has hard water.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #6

Since he said just installed, i assumed it was a new refrig and no water had ever been run through or at least it had been at room temp. otherwise he could have a frozen line....turn i/m off until you resolve this problem-it won't know there is no water and will short cycle..
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
Since he said just installed, i assumed it was a new refrig and no water had ever been run through or at least it had been at room temp. otherwise he could have a frozen line....turn i/m off until you resolve this problem-it won't know there is no water and will short cycle..

I just threw the possibility of it being used out there in case the op forgot to mention it.