Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

New Gas Dryer Installation - 1/4 Gas Connector Problem

Hello,

I just purchased new dryer from homedepot and their installer will only do standard installation.

When I's back home, I realized that my current gas connector may not be standard one. I know for sure that the pipe is 1/2" but I am not sure about the valve connector. When I looked at the current label on the current flexpipe, it says 1/4 I.D. (please see images).

I assumed that the standard is 1/2 O.D. and 1/2 I.D.?

Also, the current flex pipe is 6 ft. long and they will only bring 4 ft. Is there any code enforce the maximum 4ft?

Please advise. Thank you in advance

(Will something like this will fit? http://www.amazon.com/DORMONT-20-313...er+kit+72+inch
)

cfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,034

I see no reason why what you have can't be used with the new dryer.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I think I would tell the installer that if it's not drying, it's not staying if he can't figure out how to hook up to that.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
I see no reason why what you have can't be used with the new dryer.
They said that they always use the new one for safety purpose.

I am pretty handy but I have never worked with gas before. is it easy to install by myself?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,034

[quote=cfreak;946949
They said...
I am pretty handy but...[/quote]
You don't have to "install" anything.
Turn the valve off, remove the flex hose from the OLD dryer, attach that to the new dryer.
I'd be really surprised if it won't go right on.

If the existing flex line is damaged then get a new one.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
cfreak (06-20-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

That is a 3/8 O/D hose. It wouldn't hurt having a 1/2 OD hose. The NPT connections on either end should be 1/2 NPT though.

The ball valve you have doesn't look totally right to me. There should be a 45 degree flare end that the hose attaches to, which then attaches to the regular NPT threads. (it shows the way the hose should be on the tag). I would shut off the valve, remove the hose at the valve and check. There should also be no kind of thread sealant in there. If there is you should replace the hose.

Max length for code in canada is 6ft as far as I can remember, Although I have never installed a gas hose longer than 4ft. Dormont (hose company) lists a 1/2 OD 3/8 ID (1/2 NPT connections) as long as 72 inches (6 FT). So they CAN get them.
Protocol. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Protocol. For This Useful Post:
cfreak (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocol. View Post
That is a 3/8 O/D hose. It wouldn't hurt having a 1/2 OD hose. The NPT connections on either end should be 1/2 NPT though.

The ball valve you have doesn't look totally right to me. There should be a 45 degree flare end that the hose attaches to, which then attaches to the regular NPT threads. (it shows the way the hose should be on the tag). I would shut off the valve, remove the hose at the valve and check. There should also be no kind of thread sealant in there. If there is you should replace the hose.

Max length for code in canada is 6ft as far as I can remember, Although I have never installed a gas hose longer than 4ft. Dormont (hose company) lists a 1/2 OD 3/8 ID (1/2 NPT connections) as long as 72 inches (6 FT). So they CAN get them.
Thank you for a very good info.

If I use 1/2 OD 3/8 ID, what should I do to attach it to the valve? (Do I need any flare or adapter?) The current valve attached to 1/4 OD, so I assumed it won't fir with 1/2 OD.

I don't see the sealer by looking at it, but I could see some tape (like Teflon tape...). Is that a red flag?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

all dryers use the same 3/8" pipe thread. If it worked ok on your old dryer it will work ok on your new dryer.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
I don't see the sealer by looking at it, but I could see some tape (like Teflon tape...). Is that a red flag?
No it's not a red flag. There is a specific type of teflon tape that is rated for use with gas. You'll feel a difference in the thickness between the water & gas teflon tape, with the gas specific one being thicker. I use the pink so I don't get confused with my regular white, and the inspector can tell at a glance that the correct type of tape was used.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
No it's not a red flag. There is a specific type of teflon tape that is rated for use with gas. You'll feel a difference in the thickness between the water & gas teflon tape, with the gas specific one being thicker. I use the pink so I don't get confused with my regular white, and the inspector can tell at a glance that the correct type of tape was used.
Those hoses have a 45 flare mechanical connection. It will go from the 45 flare to the 1/2 NPT connection. The 1/2 NPT will then make the connection to your piping or regulator.

There is a second nut there for the 45 flare. There is never a need to put gas rated dope or tape on that flare. You would have to put dope or tape on the pipe conneciton.

I could very well be wrong. But all i've ever seen on the ends of those corrugated hoses is the 45 flare and a second 'nut' for the pipe connection.

Protocol. is offline   Reply With Quote