New Drill - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 01-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

New Drill

I'm going to be doing some work around our new home, and thought it best to invest in some proper tools. I was looking at power drills, and I really think I'll need one with the support handle like this one:

However, this one is well out of my budget. I was hoping anyone would be able to recommend a similar drill for a lesser price that will still be reliable.

Cheers,
Chris

Advertisement

silbchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 758

Re: New Drill

Shop your local PAWN SHOP, often there is a great selection of quality tools at a very good price.

ED
Dave Sal likes this.

Advertisement

de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 5,390

I can't speak to your individual needs.... but with a non geared down battery driven drill... and I'm older and weigh 155... I've never needed (or wanted in the way) that handle.

If this is your first battery driven drill, you might want to check out drills that replace their batteries under warranty. (Over the years, I wish I had.)

Just some thoughts you may want to consider.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,352

For a home owners needs consider the Ryobi brand, and be sure you use the 4 amp hr battery model P122, it will meet all your needs and then some, one battery fits all the tools.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 5,390

I actually don't own any Royabi.... but for HO use, my limited experience has been favorable... and a good value for HO use.

My son had an old belt driven cast Craftsman saw I gave him that finally craped out building his home.

We borrowed for expediency sake a neighbors Royabi table say... which I initially thought would be a joke.... Yes, it might have a little less horse and stability that we would have liked.... but it did handle everything... from rough framing/siding to finish work.

I was really surprized. (It's not a Unisaw/Beismeyer set-up... but it's less than 1/10 the cost and portable.)
Old 01-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
I can't speak to your individual needs.... but with a non geared down battery driven drill... and I'm older and weigh 155... I've never needed (or wanted in the way) that handle.

If this is your first battery driven drill, you might want to check out drills that replace their batteries under warranty. (Over the years, I wish I had.)

Just some thoughts you may want to consider.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. That handle is totally not needed.

I have a corded Rigid drill that I always forget to attach the handle to. That thing can be dangerous in some situations without the handle.

I'm curious about the battery warranties. Who replaces under warranty?

I stopped using dewalt because I got tired of buying batteries.

I have an old makita impact driver with nicad batteries that keeps cruising along. It's only 12 (14?) volt but the thing is plenty powerful. I had another one that was old that was going strong till I loaned it to a friend - I think he used it to hammer nails.

I have a 18 volt Makita set that I've had to replace one battery. I ended up buying the drill with battery for the same price. Which is good because I abuse that drill sometimes with mixing.

HD had the 18 volt impact driver with battery for 99 bucks over Christmas. I may kick myself for not jumping on it. Mine is showing a little wear on the handle. That's the cheapest I've seen that drill.
Erico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,258

Hi Chris,
For occasional home owner use you can consider a corded drill instead of a battery powered. I have both and being retired a couple of my battery units go dead. Much easier to just grab my corded drill than to set up the charger and hope it will recover. I also own one of the lifetime battery packages but after 3 sets of new batteries they have said those types are no longer available. On the other hand I have many corded tools that are over 30 years old and still very reliable.

Go battery if it is necessary, but best value for occasional use is corded.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 378

IMO, first tool should be corded. If you want the next one to be cordless, that's fine.
stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 424

That's a very pricy 1/2 inch hammer drill. Not sure why you need it,other than you want a handle.

Go to your local big box store, or perhaps a couple of them. Handle the tools to see which feels better in your hand. As you narrow down your choices, ask to put batteries in them if they don't have them in the display models. You want to get an idea of the true weight and balance of the tool.

I would suggest you look at combo kits, at minimum a drill and an impact driver. If you are driving screws or lags that are hard to turn, using the impact driver will take the torque off you wrist/eliminate the need for the handle.

For a lot of jobs, a side handle is extra weight and just gets in your way.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:06 PM   #10
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 4,520

I have a Dewalt 18V cordless drill. You can turn on the hammer option, which I use occasionally when drilling concrete. The drill does not have a handle, which has not been a problem for the five years or so I have owned the tool. I also have two or three corded drills which I never use. To my mind, the cordless drill is the greatest thing since sliced toast, it is by far the most used tool in my (somewhat excessive) collection. I do not own any other cordless tools, not sure which ones would be useful, maybe a cordless oscillating saw. Possibly a cordless Sawzall would be useful under some conditions.

I have two batteries and a charger. I have worn out two sets of batteries and one charger in five years, and while it would be nice to have a lifetime warranty on the batteries, not sure who offers it, and what the real cost is.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 424

While I also own 18V dewalts, I don't recommend them anymore because of the nicad batteries. IMO, you want the 20v li batteries in dewalt tools. They are actually 18v, but they chose to call them 20v to distinguish them from the older nicads. The 2 batteries are a different shape, not interchangeable.

Dewalt has started making an 18v shape battery in LI that does fit the older style tools. They work well with them. But you will have to buy a new charger for them if you have the older black charger.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #12
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
While I also own 18V dewalts, I don't recommend them anymore because of the nicad batteries. IMO, you want the 20v li batteries in dewalt tools. They are actually 18v, but they chose to call them 20v to distinguish them from the older nicads. The 2 batteries are a different shape, not interchangeable.

Dewalt has started making an 18v shape battery in LI that does fit the older style tools. They work well with them. But you will have to buy a new charger for them if you have the older black charger.
I bought a couple DeWalt "20V" tools a few months ago to replace my circe 2003 DeWalt NiCad tools.

They're pricey, but great tools. I splurged and got the brushless ones, which is totally overkill for a guy like me . . .
NickTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,408

Quote:
Originally Posted by silbchris View Post
I'm going to be doing some work around our new home, and thought it best to invest in some proper tools. I was looking at power drills, and I really think I'll need one with the support handle like this one:

However, this one is well out of my budget. I was hoping anyone would be able to recommend a similar drill for a lesser price that will still be reliable.

Cheers,
Chris
Look at electric drills. They usually are cheaper and are more powerful. Also over the life of the tool it will be cheaper to own. Buying new batteries every few years can add up to a very expensive tool. I have many battery powered tools because I often work where power is not readily available. However I have to make sure the batteries are always charged and it affects productivity when you have stop what you are dong to change batteries. One particular brand of battery tool that I have will not work well when it is too cold. I have to warm the battery for it to operate properly.

Several years ago I bought a brand new electric pistol drill at a rummage sale for six dollars. Right away I fell in love with it because it always worked, was lighter in weight, and I never had to stop to recharge.

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #14
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 690

Lots of guys have had good luck with Ryobi drills as an entry level drill. They have several grades of them all running off the same battery, which in turn that battery runs a bazillion other tools when you find the need for them.

My Milwaukee Fuel drill has a side handle, and it doesn't get used very often. Mostly when I'm drilling concrete or knocking rust off with the wire wheel. Since I've gotten a smaller drill for homeowner use, the big Milwaukee will probably get the side handle used a bigger percentage of the time. But never for stuff like drilling small holes or driving screws.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 438

whatever drill you choose, they sell that attachment handle for any drill in a universal kit. Im sure Harbor Freight has one. By reading OPs post, he may have an issue where that handle is necessary. give options on handle, not what YOU would buy.....

Advertisement

KPDMinc is online now   Reply With Quote