DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New Dishwasher / Moisture Barrier

13K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  adgjqetuo 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just bought a new dishwasher and installed it with no issues. My only concern is my counter tops are laminate / particle board and the new dishwasher's vent is on the top of the door which faces the bottom of the counter top.

I'm afraid of the moisture ruining the counter top over time. How can I seal the counter top to prevent damage as the steam comes out of the top vent?

I was going to use a small piece of rubber, but that only leaves a 1/4 inch between the vent and the counter. Will it hurt the dishwasher if the steam hits the counter top and falls back into the vent?

Thanks!
Mike

See less See more
#3 ·
I find that hard to believe it won't get damaged in the near future. I'll take a picture and upload it shortly to make sure we are on the same page.

I thought about using polyurethane but wasn't sure how it would react with particle board. I've only used it on harder woods before. I already finished installing it, so I would have to paint some on when the door is open.

#6 ·
I did some looking around my workbench and I found a roll of HVAC foil tape. I decided to place a piece of that under the counter top and I think it'll work great. Plus you can't even see it unless you really craw down and purposely look up.

Thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.