Need Recommendations For Brand Of New 24" Single Wall Electric Oven - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2011, 03:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Need recommendations for brand of new 24" single wall electric oven

After 19 years of very good use my G.E. 24" electric single wall self cleaning oven stopped working about 2 months ago. I did have G.E. appliance repair service come check the oven out in March 2011, the technician told me the oven's control board had gone bad but unfortunately for me G.E. no longer made the part required to fix my oven. So I have to buy a new oven. I can go with another G.E., a Whirlpool, Maytag, Frigidaire and several other brands. I found out quick once I starting looking at new 24" ovens online that not many are made now, the most popular size of oven now seems to be a 30" model.

I have to stay with another 24" model because my cabinet is only 24" wide. I will have to say in the 19 years that I used this oven not one time did I have to call for service until this past March 2011. Besides buying another G.E. oven I'm open to recommendations for another brand of oven to consider and also which company has a good track record for service and repair of their appliances. Are Kenmore ovens sold by Sears any good or should I stay away from Sears Kenmore? A sales rep at Sears told me last night that their current Kenmore 24" electric single wall ovens are made by Frigidaire.

Advertisement

Stevoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #2

52 views to this thread and yet nobody is willing to offer me any recommendations?

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I like GE cooking over other brands..time for remodel ?? 24" is pretty small..
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:10 AM   #4

Question

No $$ in the budget to do a remodel, just to buy a new oven. My home which was my parent's home, both are now deceased, the home was built in 1962, the kitchen now has an almond colored Whirlpool side by side refrigerator, an almond colored G.E. dishwasher, a brushed chromed finish Frigidaire electric cooktop, brushed chromed Nutone ventahood overhead which is still original, it has had 2 new Nutone fan motors installed since 1962, my current G.E. 19 year old oven which no longer works is black. Should I try and find an almond colored 24" oven or just buy another 24" black one? You got an opinion on Whirlpool ovens or Frigidaire ovens? Kenmore ovens sold by Sears? Sears currently sells a Kenmore oven which the sales guy told me was made by Frigidaire.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Well like i said; i'd buy GE cooking. if price is the main consideration-just buy whatever brand is the least expensive..buy black,you won't find an Almond color anyway..another alternative would be-call a local servicer and have the electronic control rebuilt or swaped out. call around with your model # etc. prob in the $400+/- range..
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
Well like i said; i'd buy GE cooking. if price is the main consideration-just buy whatever brand is the least expensive..buy black,you won't find an Almond color anyway..another alternative would be-call a local servicer and have the electronic control rebuilt or swaped out. call around with your model # etc. prob in the $400+/- range..
Have the control board in a 19 year old oven rebuilt? Not an option. If a new G.E. control board was still available which according to G.E. it's not, the problem would have already been resolved. I have located 2 almond colored models, one is a Whirlpool and is sold at Lowe's, the other is a Kenmore model sold at Sears which Sears told me is made by Frigidaire.

http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/022...sm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Here's a Frigidaire model sold at Sears, not almond but white. It looks almost like the Kenmore model sold at Sears.

http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/022...sm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Advertisement

Last edited by Stevoreno; 05-09-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Adding more info to my post.