Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need information for 1952 Thermador T56 series range

I am trying to service a 1952, T56 series electric range. Some previous person made some wiring changes since the two ovens don't work right. (One has to be ON before the other will turn ON.) I have contacted Thermador via phone and email to see about getting a wiring diagram but have been told that since Thermador was bought up by Bosch that information is no longer available. Internet searches have turned up nothing.

The range burners and their controls have L1, L2 and N going to them so they are not wired like most infinity controlled burners common today. One of the 6" Monotube burners has been replaced with a poorly fitting Microtube range element so I'm also looking for the proper 3-wire Monotube element, trim ring and drip pan.

This range is in a very original Frank Lloyd Wright home so replacing the range with something more recent is pretty much out of the question.

Thanks for any help!

KlausH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausH View Post
I am trying to service a 1952, T56 series electric range.
Check for the independent service and appliance companies.
Someone will have a dusty old manual on a shelf that hasn't been touched since 1970; maybe even a few boxes of hard to get parts too. Better hurry though as most of them are going out of business.

Quote:
Some previous person made some wiring changes since the two ovens don't work right. (One has to be ON before the other will turn ON.)
Assuming the thermostats themselves work...
it shouldn't too hard to change how they are being fed.
The capillary on a 62yo t-stat is another matter.

Quote:
The range burners and their controls have L1, L2 and N going to them so they are not wired like most infinite controls.
Ohm them out/confirm they work or replace them with infinite controls (which DO have L1 L2 and N feeds).

Quote:
I'm also looking for the proper 3-wire Monotube element...
that will take some effort

Quote:
This range is in a very original Frank Lloyd Wright home so replacing the range with something more recent is pretty much out of the question.
I suspect this will will change.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 03-16-2013 at 08:33 AM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Assuming the thermostats themselves work...
it shouldn't too hard to change how they are being fed.
The capillary on a 62yo t-stat is another matter.
Thanks for the reply! The oven thermostats are working though their accuracy has not been checked yet.

Quote:
Ohm them out/confirm they work or replace them with infinite controls (which DO have L1 L2 and N feeds).
I'm on a steep learning curve here so please excuse the basic questions. I have the electrical / electronic background, just not the knowledge of how it's applied to electric ranges. From what I've "learned" sitting behind a computer, infinity switches generally had 5 terminals: One side of the line L1, the other side of the line L2, the switched burner contact H1, the other switched burner contact H2 and a contact for a pilot light P. And they generally don't have positive detentes for the various burner heat levels.

The burner switch contacts in this range are labeled L1, L2, N, B, W, R & P and have detentes labeled something like Simmer, Low, Medium, Med-High and High. I don't think they incorporate the thermostatic bimetal strip found in an infinity switch but instead throw various combinations of 120vac and 240vac at the burner element for whatever heat level of heat was selected. Can someone confirm that this is / was another way to control the burner output or am I out in the weeds making stuff up in my head?
KlausH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausH View Post
One side of the line L1, line L2, H1, H2 and pilot light P.
And they generally don't have positive detentes for the various burner heat levels.
No detentes is why they're called an INFINITE switch.
(I goofed earlier saying neutral... unless it's a 120V application.)

Quote:
The burner switch contacts in this range are labeled L1, L2, N, B, W, R & P and have detentes...
There are LOT's of different types of controls to choose from.

Another avenue for controls is a commercial kitchen service company.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Would need to look at it to tell you what you need.(Pics) I work at a commercial kitchen repair company BTW.

The infinite switches we commonly use do not utilize 120/240 but have a bimetal strip in them. The common bi-metal infinite switches are pretty close to the same thing.

I would take a switch out and run it over to your local appliance shop. You should also build a wiring diagram to figure out how its wired.
Protocol. is offline   Reply With Quote