Need Help Picking A Stainless Side By Side - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Need help picking a stainless side by side

The new house lacks a fridge but has a stainless oven so we are in the market for a stainless side by side (ice/water) fridge.

I was shopping at Lows and saw I can get either:
NEW, for $999 in store
Whirlpool 25.1 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator (Color: Stainless-Look) ENERGY STAR
http://www.lowes.com/pd_309339-46-ED...Info=Whirlpool
This one actually felt the most sturdy out of all the fridges I looked at. Its a little bulky though and while its dimensions fit the "fridge hole" I have to fill its just a little mediocre looking.

REPAIRED and only $1199 (normally $1999) but no warranty. The repair was adjusting the doors to impact the light switch better.
Whirlpool Gold 24.5 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Counter-Depth Refrigerator (Color: Stainless Steel) ENERGY STAR
http://www.lowes.com/pd_355490-46-GS...d=10151&rpp=24

RETURNED due to hating fingerprints on stainless steel
$1211 with a warranty
Samsung 25.5 cu. ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator ENERGY STARŪ
They don't have it on their own website, so here is the sears link:
http://www.sears.com/samsung-25.5-cu...sid=15x1301086

We are slightly limited by the height of the fridge, there is a cabinet above the fridge exactly 69 inches from the floor. All the 3 above are just a hair under that 69 inches, if need be I'll sand the bottom of the cabinet down a bit.

Anyone have experience with any of those fridges above or can recommend a stainless side by side for under $1200? Preferably one that is 24+ cuft and also not super deep (but doesn't have to be counter depth, thats just a bonus, and I can always rehang the pantry door to open the opposite direct if opening it because a problem because of the fridge

Advertisement

knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,070

Whirlpool unit #1 is stainless look, in the same kitchen with a real stainless oven you'll definelty notice that.
Whirlpool unit #2, no warranty. Would not buy
Samsung unit is very nice refrig. Samsung these days put out some very nice products.

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,314

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
The new house lacks a fridge but has a stainless oven so we are in the market for a stainless side by side (ice/water) fridge.
focus on buying a good frig
with secondary focus on door type...
and way in the rear... is the finish material.

on the last point: stainless is a AWFUL finish for a residential appliance.
it'd trendy and popular that is all it has going for it.

on the second point... over under are more efficient.
freezer below less convenient
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I've had both side by side and freezer on the bottom and I much prefer my Samsung feezer on the bottom. But thats not your question. I got a really good price at a Sears outlet for the Samsung. It was a floor model. Watch for crash and dent. You can save a ton
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

The problem, anymore, with 'scratch n dent' or returns is; you don't know the *real* reason 'it's baaack'. could be just door or could be 23 service calls-think they'll tell you?.. Korean refrigs are harder to get repaired if needed... to Hw/man' point, you need real ss for match. use Pledge to keep finish looking nice... as to $$$ on appl, other than LG dumping their French door models thru Lowes awhile back [Appliance Advisor] prices are basically the same-no matter where you buy-they just play around with names or model #'s.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,736

i used to have (sold it with the condo) the first link model(but a few years older), but real stainless. we really liked it and had no problems with it.

we now have a LG french door model. we love the fridge section. the lower freezer, not so much.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
knotquiteawake (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i used to have (sold it with the condo) the first link model(but a few years older), but real stainless. we really liked it and had no problems with it.

we now have a LG french door model. we love the fridge section. the lower freezer, not so much.
I ended up getting the first model listed there, and my mistake, it was actually real stainless not the fake kind.
I got it at $999 plus a 10% discount delivered the afternoon I move. So its pretty much perfect.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Advertisement

knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote