Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

need help with homebuilt electric BBQ smoker

I'm building a BBQ smoker and I need a little help to get it finished safely.

I just basically built an insulated box, like a fridge. The dimensions are 20" X 20" X 55". I ordered some parts from an appliance parts distributor. I have a stovetop burner and a terminal block for it. I also have a basic oven thermostat to regulate the temp. I have 220 powering this setup, and I tested it and it works properly.

The problem is that the burner is 8" and I designed it to sit in the middle of the smoker's floor. If I use the plastic terminal block to connect the burner I'm afraid it will melt. Smoker temp will be 200-300 deg. F.

Can I solder high temp wire directly to the terminals on the burner? Or could I take the connectors out of the terminal block and power the burner without the block? If I did either of these two things could I insulate the connection with heat shrink or high temp tape?

mike oleary is offline   Reply With Quote