Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #1

Share |

need help

I have 2 dryers and not one of them are heating up...I dont know whats wrong they both worked fine b4 i got them....theyre both 4 prong and 250 volts...the wall outlet is also 250 volts and 30 amp whatever that means...does anyone have suggestions???thanks

summerstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
the Musigician

need help

my experience has been the thermocoupler unit needs replacing most times. it's an easy fix!
of course, you may not be getting power to the outlet either. check the breakerbox first.
if you need help, please ask again here, or just let us know how it went.

DM

Old 12-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #3

need help

If you for some reason (loose wire) have only 110 at the plug, the dryer will run but not heat up. First thing I'd do is check the plug with a multimeter.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #4

need help

Bradnailer is correct. The dryer heating element is 240 volt but the motor is 120 volt. It's possible for the motor to run without heating up. I find many times that people will install a 2-pole circuit breaker in a panel in a way that they only have 120 volts if the panel can take 1" or 1/2" breakers. Another possibility is a blown fuse in a fuse panel. The fuse block will have one good fuse and one blown.
hoistdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:32 AM   #5

need help

Not certain but I believe some elements actually run on a 120v/ 120 configuration as in 120v to the motor, 120v to the elelment. If you have no heat at all suspect the element or the couple mentioned above. If you have aprtial heat you could have only HALF AN ELEMENT WORKING. But if you have heat and extremely long cycles it could be the humidity sensor which shuts off the eleemnt automatically in auto cycles when your load is dry.
Dryers I've worked on have a hinged lid with spring clips at the front. UNPLUG first!!!!! Run your volt meter across the element leads, both halves, to check continuity. Some elements are dual coil spring type and appear intact but will have a tiny break due to expansion and contarction. You may need to pull the drum to replace a coil. Don't overstretch if it is a coil and feed it gentley. It's easy if you're patient but look for wear/wobble on the bushing at the back of the drum and on the nylon glide pads at the front below the door area since you don't want to pull the drum twice. Also note how your belt is wound and check it for cracks by flipping inside out as it is generally spring loaded on a mechanism that shuts off the motor if the belt breaks. Ceck your exhaust tube for blockage from lint and socks while you're down there.
Have fun. All these parts are relatively easy to install , but do an overhaul not a quick fix.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #6

need help

If they both were working before and they both have a pigtail indicating 240 volt, then it's a power problem. Yes there is 120 volt models and some elements are dual and there is a moisture sensor in some models but the evidence indicates lack of 240 volts.

hoistdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote