Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #1

Share |

Need Dishwasher side panel - any good aftermarket resources?

I bought a Kenmore built-in dishwasher for my parents but their kitchen set up requires ONE side panel while the other side is against the range. I considered returning it for a stand alone model but there are fewer options and they are much more expensive. I contacted Sears Appliance Parts via phone and found out that the side panel will cost about $300 which is MORE than I paid for the entire dishwasher to begin with!!!

Anyway, I thought I would inquire on here to see if anyone knew of another resource that sells these side panels at a more reasonable cost.

Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #2

what do you plan to attach the panel to? the dishwasher needs a panel on both sides. i would take it back and get a portable. you could buy a cheap 27 inch wide cabinet and remove everything but the sides and back and put the dw in that. you would need a piece of counter on top. i guess if you know someone handy they could make you an enclosure from plywood.

Last edited by DannyT; 10-24-2012 at 06:28 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #3

My dad already has a top cover that he built years ago for their existing Kitchen Aid so that can be reused. Get this...they purchased a side panel for $10 for that Kitchen Aid. Granted, that was 34 years ago, but normal inflation does not translate to $300 now! What gives with that? Isn't this basic sheet metal to a certain point? Why do suppliers feel they can get away with these prices? I guess it all comes down to supply and demand. Their situation is unique because most people have it built in under the counter. I get it...but still...that is ridiculous. My Dad is handy with tools and would construct his own but he is getting older and his health isn't there anymore so I was just trying to help out.
Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #4

A picture would be helpful.

Since its a built in - I assume its already under a counter top? If so you could get a matching Laminate panel and use L brackets to attach to existing counter top and the floor.
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
DIY staff

If you have basic woodworking skills---make one using cabinet ply and a 1x2 hardwood face frame---