Moisture In Dryer - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Moisture in Dryer

Hi....I was hoping that someone could help me. I have a lot of moisture in my dryer and clothes are taking forever to dry. I have check the venting and there are no clogs. I have taken off the venting tube figuring it would solve my problem in case there actually was a clog that I missed. It did not solve the problem, moisture is still in dryer. I know know that the problem must be internal but im not sure what to do or where to look. Help! Just now checked the dryer and now there is water on the floor in front of dryer also. This is the first time this has happened since having issues with the moisture in the dryer. Now what do i do???

Advertisement

Last edited by Sassy999; 09-10-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Sassy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Moisture in Dryer

If you turn the dryer on, does the venting ductwork get hot? If not,there's a component in the dryer not working.
Do the louvers open at the exhaust when you turn on the dryer?
You need to tell us what type of dryer you have. Gas or electric? How old is it?
Is the gas on?
Are the breakers on?

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #3

Moisture in Dryer

Its an electric Maytag Performa dryer. Im not sure how old it is as it was a used dryer when i got it. Im getting heat in the dryer but the moisture is staying in the dryer. Im not sure what you mean by are the louvers opening at the exhaust. Do you mean on the outside of the house where the dryer is vented to?? As I said earlier, I took the venting hose completely off to see if the problem was the venting. Its not.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #4

Moisture in Dryer

I had reattached the venting hose last night since taking it completely off did not correct the problem. Just checked the venting hose...is not getting hot while dryer is running. Now what??
Old 09-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,182

Moisture in Dryer

With the power OFF, check the heating element with an ohmmeter.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #6

Moisture in Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy999 View Post
Its an electric Maytag Performa dryer. Im not sure how old it is as it was a used dryer when i got it. Im getting heat in the dryer but the moisture is staying in the dryer. Im not sure what you mean by are the louvers opening at the exhaust. Do you mean on the outside of the house where the dryer is vented to?? As I said earlier, I took the venting hose completely off to see if the problem was the venting. Its not.
If I ask you a question, I'd like you to answer the question. All the questions.
Just because you checked the duct doesn't mean the vent in the dryer isn't clogged.
Do the louvers open at the exterior exhaust when the dryer is on?
-Answer Yes or No.
If you remove the vent from the rear of the dryer, does the dryer blow out air from the opening?
-Answer Yes or No
Is it hot or cool?
-Answer Hot or Cool
If the air in the dryer is hot, and it's venting to the exterior. It makes no sense that the duct is cool.
If there's no air exiting the dryer(with the duct detached), there's a clog in the vent in the dryer.
If the dryer blows out cool air in the heat cycle, the heating element has a problem.
How many years have you been using the dryer?
You answer in terms of years and months. Such as 5 year and 6 months. If the dryer is an older model, it might make sense replacing it as opposed to repairing it.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #7

Moisture in Dryer

I guess im not understanding....why would I check the heating element when I am getting heat in the dryer?? The moisture is just not being pulled out of the dryer. I took the venting hose off and was checking the vent on the dryer. There is very little air or moisture coming out of the vent opening on the dryer. Something is blocking the air and moisture from coming OUT of the dryer. What should I do???

Last edited by Sassy999; 09-10-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #8

Moisture in Dryer

To Ron.......I answered your questions to the best of my ability ok??? Sorry it wasnt good enough for you. You seem like a ------ . I never said that there wasnt a clog INSIDE the dryer.....Im sure that is the case being that I am getting very little air or moisture coming out of the exhaust entrance ON the dryer. I just dont know how to figure out how to fix the problem. I said from the start that i had taken the venting hose off the dryer and it did not fix the problem which would mean that the problem was internal. I asked where do i look for the issue and how to correct it. Sorry for taking up your precious time. You're such a pleasant fellow

Last edited by Gary in WA; 09-11-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: treat others with respect per forum rules.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Moisture in Dryer

Is the dryer drum turning? Since there's no apparent exterior issue, you could just take it apart and find out what's not working. You'll be surprised on how few components there are inside of the dryer.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 09-10-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: is/are
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Experienced

Moisture in Dryer

I am sorry to say Sassy, but it sure sounds to me like your electric heating element is in need of some repair. This may not be a job for you, I believe you have looked at all the right things thus far, the next step would be remove the back of the drier or disconnect the electrical connections and test the heating element, as it doesn't appear to be a venting issue.

Mark
Old 09-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #11

Moisture in Dryer

To Clutch.....yes the drum is turning

To Mark....I appreciate your help but why would there be an issue with the heating element when I am getting heat?? My problem is the heat and moisture is not being pulled OUT of the dryer.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
Experienced

Moisture in Dryer

OK Sassy, when the flex line was off the back of the drier, did you reach inside the discharge and see if there were any obvious blockages?

Is the lint trap clean? - I am sure it is, just have to ask.

EDIT

Alright did some investigating on your drier and believe that you have a problem with the blower motor, how much of this do you think that you can do, it looks realitively easy. Check out "Take the drier apart"

http://www.do-it-yourself-washing-ma...ric-dryer.html

Mark

Last edited by Jackofall1; 09-10-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #13

Moisture in Dryer

Thank you Ron for your help. Unfortunately, after moving my dryer in and out checking things....NOW there is no heat...must have a short in something on top of the first problem. I will definitely check for blockages and check out the blower wheel if i get the heat working again . Sheesh....just one thing after another.

Last edited by Sassy999; 09-10-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #14
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Moisture in Dryer

It's probably just the overheat sensor that tripped because the blower motor isn't circulating air.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 786

Moisture in Dryer

Most likely you will find the internal air passages are heavily coated with lint plaster to the point of being closed off. Very easy to fix if you pay attention to where everything goes while disassembling to clean. (You will need to put it all back together) In addition, to prevent this situation from reoccurring anytime soon insure there is adequate air supply to the dryer while it is in operation. When they get tucked into closets and run with the doors closed the amount of airflow is reduced to the point that lint builds up inside the duct way instead of being carried to the filter.

Advertisement

PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote