Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #1

Share |

Microwaves Over the Range

After settling on a specific microwave, I found it is a vented model. Do I need to buy a filter kit or can it be used without one?

gailpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Tool Geek

gailpf, Welcome to the Forum

Vented models suck the air from above the burners and blow it out the stack. If you do not have a stack, where is the exhaust going to go?
If your model has a Filter kit for use with no exhaust vent then I would definitely get that Kit.

Last edited by PaliBob; 03-14-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: sp
PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailpf View Post
After settling on a specific microwave, I found it is a vented model. Do I need to buy a filter kit or can it be used without one?
We were recently shopping for the same item and what i found was almost all of them could be used in a vented situation (Vented to the outside) or circulation situation(vented back into the room).

For the one i purchased, i had to remove the fan and rotate it 180 degrees then re-install it.

Look up the manual online and see if it has instructions for both venting methods to make sure but i would say not to worry, most models can be used in either way and have everything you need to do the job.
bhennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Master of none

Are you sure you do not have venting above your stove? Or are you replacing a vent fan without a vent?

If you have no venting, then be sure you buy a microwave with a charcoal filter kit - and be sure to replace the filter often....

No venting in a kitchen is not good!!

Is your range on an outside wall? If it is then adding venting is easy.
handy andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy andy View Post
Are you sure you do not have venting above your stove? Or are you replacing a vent fan without a vent?

If you have no venting, then be sure you buy a microwave with a charcoal filter kit - and be sure to replace the filter often....

No venting in a kitchen is not good!!

Is your range on an outside wall? If it is then adding venting is easy.
I dont think i would say that no venting is "not good"... most over the range hoods simply vent back into the room. Suck air from above the stove and exhaust it back into the room through the vents above the hood. This is very common. While i agree that it would be better if the vent was exhausted to the outside, i dont think it is necessary. I have lived in half a dozed homes in my life and only one had the exhaust to the outside.
bhennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #6

I have a OTR microwave configured for circulation. It is almost useless. The charcoal filter is so restrictive that the blower doesn't move much air. IE, cooking bacon, I have to use a back burner, turn the fan on high, and it will kind of remove the smoke. When I get the chance, I will vent this thing out the roof like the old hood was. What bugs me the most, is there is no way to vent the front burners, the microwave does not stick out that far, and there is no such thing as a hood extension (I think it is against code). I have very little counter space, but I would love to get rid of the OTR microwave for a counter top model and install a real vent hood. So if you are a serious cook, consider a vent hood and countertop microwave

FixitDragon is offline   Reply With Quote