Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2008, 01:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Maytag Washer and GFI

I have a Maytag Atlantis washer and ever since I had my house rewired and had GFI's installed in the basement, I've noticed my washing machine would stop before the rinse cycle. The washer will fill with water then when it goes into rinse it trips the GFI. Does anyone know what may be causing this? I have heard that GFI's are not good for appliances, but this is about 3 feet from my stationary tub and I want the extra protection. I wonder if something is leaking internally when the washer fills with water, any other ideas? Thanks for the responses.

mwarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #2

Maytag Washer and GFI

I have had the same problem had to remove the GFI. With most codes it's not required for a dedicated recepticle.

bieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #3

Maytag Washer and GFI

I thought it may be the GFI receptacle but I tried it in a regular outlet and am still having the same issues. I think it may be some corrosion or internal connection, at this point I have ruled out the receptacle being the issue.
mwarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 506

Maytag Washer and GFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarken View Post
I thought it may be the GFI receptacle but I tried it in a regular outlet and am still having the same issues. I think it may be some corrosion or internal connection, at this point I have ruled out the receptacle being the issue.
Are you sure that your receptacle is not GFCI protected by an upstream GFCI receptacle?
When the washer stops, can you measure the voltage at the receptacle to check whether it is the power that is shutting off, or something inside the washer?

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote