Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
RCDD

Rewards Points: 25

Maytag Side by side

Hey guys, just a quick question for everybody. My side by side is making a load humming noise and then a click. It does this about every 5-10 minutes. The freezer is not getting cold anymore and the fridge side seems to be warming up. Would you guys have any suggestions.

dannykapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

Maytag Side by side

if you know nothing about refrigerator compressors, you will need to call a repairman. You either have a bad compressor relay (good ) or a bad compressor (bad).

Old 02-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
RCDD

Maytag Side by side

Hopefully it is something easy, the fridge is only about 4 years old. Good thing the one out in the garage is working, had to move everything. And would you know it we just got back from grocery shopping.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Maytag Side by side

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannykapp View Post
Hopefully it is something easy, the fridge is only about 4 years old. Good thing the one out in the garage is working, had to move everything. And would you know it we just got back from grocery shopping.
Aren't these things warranted for several years. If so, it may be getting toward the end, and I would be checking real quick in case it is the comprssor and not the relay.

Hardwareman, do you know how long the closed system is warranted?
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Maytag Side by side

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post

Hardwareman, do you know how long the closed system is warranted?
Maytag like all manufacturers switched to a 1 year warranty about 5 years ago. Sucks, but it is just that
boman47k (02-14-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #6

Maytag Side by side

After I posted that, I read somewhere something about most only being warranted for a year now. A few high end models may be exceptions, I didn't know.

I remember reading somewhere many years ago an article about the best buys in the market for consumers. Appliances were near the top as they could be expected to last many years, 15 to 20 rings a bell. Not so by a long shot now. Seems more like 5 to 7 if your lucky.

I once got a truck load or two of used appliances that had been removed by the store that sold them ( Lowe's, I think). Seems like it was like 50 ranges and some fridges. There were some very old units, some classics that would have brought good money from a restorer. Not much wrong with some of them if anything. Some were just old. Might have still outlasted the ones that replaced them.

I agree, it sucks. Seems so many things now are geared toward a throw away society.

I don't think the Maytag repairman is so lonely anymore. The ones that do not get that reference are younger than I am.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:40 AM   #7

Maytag Side by side

The appl manf have changed their warranties; citing it was an added expense and not high on consumers list of important things-who they kiddin'!! with the new E mandates, price sensitive shoppers, and the round robin of dissatified customers with non-performing/crappy appliances they knew it was going to be a nightmare keeping up with warranty calls....there is no escape at any price point..lower end gets sent to landfill-high end gets big repair bill or crappy service if they have a contract..
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
RCDD

Maytag Side by side

I unplugged it over night, plugged it back in in the morning and it seemed to start cooling again. Then last night I heard the hum and click again and it quit cooling again. I called the local repair guy and he told me to try the start/relay and capacitor attached to the compressor. I ordered both online this morning, so hopefully that is all it is. I really do not want to have to replace the compressor on a 4 year old fridge.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Maytag Side by side

look at the name plate on the compressor, if its a Tecumseh your probably wasting your money on the relay, if its a Danfoss you'll probably be ok will the relay.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
RCDD

Maytag Side by side

Well, installed the relay and no luck. Same problem as before. I talked to the repair man again and he said to check the owners manual and see if the compressor is covered under warranty. According to the manual the compressor is covered up to 5 years. I am going to try and call Maytag in the morning and see what they say. The only problem is I do not have the receipt to prove the original purchase date. Hopefully this will not give them an excuse to do any warranty work.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #11
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Maytag Side by side

watch out, no receipt could mean trouble. Where was it purchased, maybe they have some type of record.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
RCDD

Maytag Side by side

I am not sure where it was purchased or when exactly. The house is 4 years old and we are the second owner, so all I have is the owners manual. I might be able to find out from the previous owner.

Is changing the compressor hard to do? Not that I am going to even try to attempt.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Maytag Side by side

changing the compressor would be the most technically involved repair on your refrig, normally costs would run about $350.00 to $450.00. With no purchase receipt they will go by the serial# to verify manufactured date, if it is 1 day over 5 you will be SOL
Old 02-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #14

Maytag Side by side

You didn't post you're model serial # but there was a free recall on the relay/ol on some units..was it fried?? if you're on the list they may change the comp if you're pesty enough..
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #15

Maytag Side by side

Check out www.repair.maytag.com for info on some recalls.

They reference 23 reports of relays overheating and causing fire and smoke damage.

Actually, I think it says 23 "additional" reports. May or may not be related to yours, but it does give a contact link to check with someone.

Last edited by boman47k; 02-17-2011 at 07:57 AM.