Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 520

Maytag dishwasher may have had it

Pepple,

lately, even with rinse agent, dishwasher leaves quite a whitish film on every item in washer. Red plastic bowls are covered with heavy white "powder".

We have hard water, but never seen this before. Does this mean washer is too old? What caused this all of a sudden?

Thanks

Old 04-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,042

Any reason if you know you have hard water you do not have a softner?
And if you do have one, sure it's working?
Had a lot of rain latly? That could change the mineral content of the water.
When the last time you drained out the sediment in your water heater?

noquacks (04-22-2013), PaliBob (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 520

Thanks, Joe, but reality/chemistry of it is hard water will never leave the quantity of that white powder on a surface in one wash- never. I do have a water softener, and its nott working- hasnt for a year or so. I dont see how it matters though- this never happened during the year- just happened at once- BOOM.

Also, we have a drought- so no rain lately. Also, dont see how that matters- dont have a well- city water. Sediment from heater? Now thats something I can sink my teeth into, Joe. Looks I got another project now. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,042

I can think of lots of things that could be wrong if the dishes came out dirty, but not leaving a white film as far as the washer goes.
Just a simple test, fill a clear glass with hot water from the tap tonight and set it on the counter over night. See if anything forms on the bottom.
Second test put a small amount of hot water in a metal pan and boil it off on the stove. See if there a white flim left behind.

Last edited by joecaption; 04-22-2013 at 07:57 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
noquacks (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 77

Maybe a silly question but you didn't change dish soaps about the same time this started, did you? And even if not, have you tried another soap since? Manuf might have switched formulations or made a bad run... Probably wishful thinking but worth a shot.
eclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,208

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
but reality/chemistry of it is hard water will never leave the quantity of that white powder on a surface in one wash- never. just happened at once- BOOM.
To help determine if your washer has " had it " check and make certain it is actually going into a rinse cycle or all the rinse cycles it is supposed to.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

large amounts of white residue are probably the result of poor water circulation inside dishwasher. First determine if you are getting enough water in the tub. After the initial fill check the water level it should fill up to touch the heating element. If that is ok then you have to determine if your pump is properly circulating the water. It maybe as simple as a plugged/ clogged filter. Remove the lower spray arm and then the housing below, you should be able to see the filter now.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

Many dishwasher soaps were reformulated in the past few years to cut down on pollution. These sometimes leave behind a bit of a haze. Did you have a big costco-sized container of the old kind of soap and just bought some new stuff?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
Thanks, Joe, but reality/chemistry of it is hard water will never leave the quantity of that white powder on a surface in one wash- never. I do have a water softener, and its nott working- hasnt for a year or so. I dont see how it matters though- this never happened during the year- just happened at once- BOOM.

Also, we have a drought- so no rain lately. Also, dont see how that matters- dont have a well- city water. Sediment from heater? Now thats something I can sink my teeth into, Joe. Looks I got another project now. Thanks.

Respectfully, I call B.S. I've seen it firsthand. For over 20 years, my parents never had a problem w/ hard water at their house. Then, one year all of a sudden, their dishes were coming out covered in white scale. They too thought their dishwasher was the problem, so they replaced it....only to find out the problem remained. They're also on city water and were told nothing has changed at the treatment plant, but that the mineral content can fluctuate throughout the year.

Feel free to drain your water heater tank...it's not difficult and should be done yearly (possibly more often, since you have hard water) But, I have a feeling you're going to get the best results from fixing your water softener.

Last edited by Seattle2k; 04-24-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,310

I would check the chopper. The chopper is a perforated disc that is in the recirc/drain ckt of the washer. As it's washing the dishes, the chopper chops up all the food into small pieces so that it will go past filter.

If you pull off the bottom kick plate, you will most likely find your schematic along with model #. The internet will provide you the instructions on how to get to the chopper.

It's not unusual for the shaft to break and it gets all gummed up.

Also check your vent. This is the air thing sticking out of the back of your sink next to the faucet...make sure it's not blocked.

Make sure your disposal is also clear since your dishwasher drains through it.

Write back and let us know what you find.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote