LP Gas Supply Lines Cleaning - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

LP gas supply lines cleaning

I have been told my LP gas supply lines need cleaning because of oily substance in the lines. How is this done ?
Doug

Advertisement

Doug Saby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

I AM NOT a gas line expert, I'll admit. I will say that my parents lived in a house with LP gas for over 30 years, I was on LP gas for 14 years, I now know two men who work for a local LP gas supplier here for many years and have NEVER heard of an LP gas line needing cleaning. Now, if whomever told you this could share some creditability on having these lines cleaned, and share where this "oily" substance came from: I'm listening, so I can learn. The only gas lines I have ever had to clean was with a new installation running acetylene into an eight (8) bay service shop. ALL gas piping, both acetylene and oxygen piping had to be washed out three (3) time with 1,1,1, Trichloroethene, then the City inspector had to look into each pipe before we could use them. Wonder what he saw?

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,056

disconnect line from lp tank, disconnect line at regulator at house, blow it out with compressed air. who told you your lines needed cleaning and why? maybe you should ask your supplier if this is something they would do since you have to disconnect lines and the connections should be checked for leaks after your done
hardwareman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I AM NOT a gas line expert, I'll admit. I will say that my parents lived in a house with LP gas for over 30 years, I was on LP gas for 14 years, I now know two men who work for a local LP gas supplier here for many years and have NEVER heard of an LP gas line needing cleaning. Now, if whomever told you this could share some creditability on having these lines cleaned, and share where this "oily" substance came from: I'm listening, so I can learn. The only gas lines I have ever had to clean was with a new installation running acetylene into an eight (8) bay service shop. ALL gas piping, both acetylene and oxygen piping had to be washed out three (3) time with 1,1,1, Trichloroethene, then the City inspector had to look into each pipe before we could use them. Wonder what he saw?

I'd have to say it is really a rare thing but it does happen. I have heard of it more with RVs and the smaller lp tanks.
hardwareman is offline   Reply With Quote