LG LW1211ER 12,000 BTU Air Conditioner Problems - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2015, 02:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 372

LG LW1211ER 12,000 BTU Air Conditioner Problems

I have a LG LW1211ER 12,000 BTU Air Conditioner (window unit) that started going wonky on me last week. I've had it for about 5 years.

One night it seemed to stop responding to the temperature controller - it was set to maintain 70F but we woke up to the room thermostat reading 59F , and we confirmed that temperature (it was freaking cold!). Obviously the problem is not in the refrigerant circuit itself!

When the power was turned off on the console button, the unit made a continuous electrical buzzing noise until I physically unplugged the unit. Plugged it back in, big spark to the outlet when plugged in, sometimes buzzes, sometimes doesn't. When power button turned back on, fan and compressor seem to work but buzzing continues, no temperature control. I've unplugged it and pulled it out because it doesn't sound safe.

I opened up the controller box and don't see anything obviously amiss. The sound and behavior makes me suspect the capacitor, but the capacitor cylinder looks OK (not leaking or buckled or anything), don't see any fried electronics, burned wires, etc.. and I don't know how that could relate to the temperature controller.

Any thoughts? I was planning to get a new capacitor for laughs to see if that fixes it, but I'd like to know if there is anything else I should check before wasting money on it.

EDIT: FYI - I'm familiar with the general operation of an air conditioner, know the components, but I am not much of an electrician. I knew to short the capacitor to avoid getting zapped, and have a multimeter and basic tools.

Advertisement

Last edited by Thunder Chicken; 07-31-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 704

Could that buzzing sound be a relay that is not operating properly? That relay may not be opening when the compressor is not being called for - thus the compressor runs continuously, dropping the temp way down.

You are right - it does not sound safe. I would not plug the unit back in until someone (you or a qualified service person) has repaired the problem.

I doubt the problem is the "run capacitor", as the compressor would most likely not start, or it would run poorly if the cap were bad. As yo stated - it is obvious that there is nothing wrong with your compressor.

If your problem is the control board, you may be able to replace it. Just Google the manufacturer, and model, and see what comes up. There are a number of online stores where you can get appliance parts - if you cannot find them on the mfr's website.

Hope this helps

FW

Advertisement

Last edited by KE2KB; 07-31-2015 at 03:43 PM.
KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KE2KB For This Useful Post:
Thunder Chicken (07-31-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 06:11 PM   #3

Great thought; a stuck relay does explain things much better. Explains everything actually. I like it.

The main control board (pcb) with the relays is easily replacable, looks to be about $50. I'll give that a shot. I'll check back and let you know how it works out.

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2015, 11:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 50

Most likely it's the relay that's stuck closed, or there's just a fault in the control board that keeps calling for cooling, either way I think on the LG's and probably a lot of others the relay is on the board so replacing that is pretty likely to solve the problem. The capacitor usually becomes a suspect when the unit is failing to start or run properly.
troyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #5

Just a follow up - I got the new main control board a few weeks ago and popped it in today. Everything works like it should now. I don't even have any extra parts

Thanks all for your help!
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunder Chicken For This Useful Post:
craig11152 (08-16-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,018

Advertisement

Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.
craig11152 is online now   Reply With Quote