Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Leaking washer - source of leak?

We just acquired a home with washer and drier installed, and I gave the washer a test run the other day to make sure all was okay. Did the job, but it leaked like hell during the operation, producing a noticeable puddle by the time it had finished. Seemed the leak was coming from the front right hand corner, as I could see water dripping down on the the floor there, but maybe that was simply where the water was being splashed from the leak within.

Short of turning the machine over (it's a Whirlpool by the way) and hopefully seeing something really obvious like a cracked hose I don't know what to look for. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look for the problem?

stephenbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Don't turn it over. don't know what W washer you have, but since it's new-to you, be safe- have both checked.

Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #3

Guy, I've repaired my drier, stoves, refrigerators (on multiple occasions), as well as any number of other household appliances. I would hardly be on a DIY site - like everyone else - if I was looking for the option of having 'both checked' unless their was a real need for it. If the answer to each and every question on here was a stock 'get a professional to check it out' then the point to the DIY site becomes redundant.

The point to the query is that there might be a few basics to look for that someone with experience of the issues might know - could be something as simple as a cracked or loose hose for all I know. If it goes beyond an easy or obvious fix, then the option of using professional help becomes viable.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

as Jacques said do not tip machine over, you run the risk of damaging or even breaking one or more struts. you can either remove the bottom panel below the door, the rear panel and top panel to observe the washer as it is running and you should be able to locate your leak.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #5

To DIY or Not??... So a guy says " i bought a used car and it won't start-it's a GM car" he doesn't tell you what year or model it is and he says "before i put it up on jacks, to check it out, anyone have any suggestions?"...Hmmm! first thoughts-what car does he have-what he's going to do is crazy-no history on used car so maybe there's exisiting unsafe condtions-no clue as to our posters mech abilty or knowledge. Sooo! since he hasn't done anything to narrow the dillema down- how to expertly advise him w/o holding his hand through 20 posts? Answer; stop! don't put it on jacks-have it checked for problem and any possible safety issues....Now if he had said i'm a good diy'r and this is a 96 chevy impalla with xyz eng- turns over, gets gas but no spark and i've checked abc-whadda think? That poster would prob get a better answer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacques For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (04-22-2012), hardwareman (04-21-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #6

@Jaques
Or perhaps you're merely a pedantic poster whose metier is to peruse forums such as this perennially posting innocuous messages that essentially serve no other purpose than to impart the aura that you're some kind of sage on the subject matter at hand when in actual fact you're demonstrating little or no knowledge whatsoever. Casting an eye over other posts of yours clearly demonstrates that this is indeed your favored approach. The presumed stupidity you go to such lengths to imply on the part of others, as so aptly demonstrated in your most recent missive, goes to the very heart of your rather pathetic and childish purposes of suggesting an obviously unfounded knowledge base, mired in quicksand, that you use to buffer a profound psychological need to preen and act the poser.

In short, sweetness, if you have nothing of value to contribute to a post then leave it to others to step in and actually offer the help sought. Hardwareman gave a perfect example of an appropriate and helpful response that pointed the way to an approach that might offer up a solution to the problem at hand - or at least some insight. It was to the point and in keeping with what DIY forums are for. Your posts were nothing more than ego-driven froth bellowing out the crystal clear and self-involved message of 'look at me'. Prick the balloon of hot air and clearly there is little substance to your posts. Sadly, every forum proves to be a venue and haven for individuals like you who need to pad out their meaningless existences via major domo personas that lend them the air of authority they crave and so utterly lack in the base reality of their lives.

@Hardware man.
Thanks for offering up some useful help. I actually wasn't thinking of tipping it over as I'd been told before that it could cause problems - if memory serves I think I was told the same about front loading driers? I'd taken panels off before on our drier to fix a defective sensor and replace the belt, but wasn't sure which way to go for a washer. Your suggestion might at least allow me to observe where the leak is coming from - hopefully it's just a simple hose issue. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

your rant at Jacques was unreasonable, extreme and totally uncalled for
Old 04-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbishop
Guy, I've repaired my drier, stoves, refrigerators (on multiple occasions),.
And yet here you are asking about what to look for on a leaking washer problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbishop
@Jaques
Or perhaps you're merely a pedantic poster whose metier is to peruse forums such as this perennially posting innocuous messages that essentially serve no other purpose than to impart the aura that you're some kind of sage on the subject matter at hand when in actual fact you're demonstrating little or no knowledge whatsoever. Casting an eye over other posts of yours clearly demonstrates that this is indeed your favored approach. The presumed stupidity you go to such lengths to imply on the part of others, as so aptly demonstrated in your most recent missive, goes to the very heart of your rather pathetic and childish purposes of suggesting an obviously unfounded knowledge base, mired in quicksand, that you use to buffer a profound psychological need to preen and act the poser.

In short, sweetness, if you have nothing of value to contribute to a post then leave it to others to step in and actually offer the help sought. Hardwareman gave a perfect example of an appropriate and helpful response that pointed the way to an approach that might offer up a solution to the problem at hand - or at least some insight. It was to the point and in keeping with what DIY forums are for. Your posts were nothing more than ego-driven froth bellowing out the crystal clear and self-involved message of 'look at me'. Prick the balloon of hot air and clearly there is little substance to your posts. Sadly, every forum proves to be a venue and haven for individuals like you who need to pad out their meaningless existences via major domo personas that lend them the air of authority they crave and so utterly lack in the base reality of their lives.
How ironic that you accuse jaques of posting a comment to boost his ego-driven froth bellowing out the crystal clear "look at me" when you did the same think with your rant!
Well done!
It's unfortunate for you that common sense can not be taught but only learned.
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbishop View Post
Guy, I've repaired my drier, stoves, refrigerators (on multiple occasions), as well as any number of other household appliances. I would hardly be on a DIY site - like everyone else - if I was looking for the option of having 'both checked' unless their was a real need for it. If the answer to each and every question on here was a stock 'get a professional to check it out' then the point to the DIY site becomes redundant.

The point to the query is that there might be a few basics to look for that someone with experience of the issues might know - could be something as simple as a cracked or loose hose for all I know. If it goes beyond an easy or obvious fix, then the option of using professional help becomes viable.
wow how rude ...people offer there time and knowledge here ..your question suggest you know nothing about washer's... jacques was only trying to offer simple help and safety to homeowner....hey jacques I am sorry for his comments.....ben

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 04-23-2012 at 01:36 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:30 AM   #10

Pistols at dawn? .

The Following User Says Thank You to Jacques For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (04-24-2012)