Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchenaid refrigerator not making ice

My icemaker will not make ice in a Kitchenaid Superba model #KSRS27QGWH01 refrigerator. The water dispenser stopped working a few months back. I did a continuity test on the solenoid valve and the water dispenser side did not ring out, but the icemaker side did. Next, I tested the voltage on the water dispenser connection and got 120V when the water dispenser switch was depressed, the voltage on the icemaker connection was 0V with the icemaker switch in the on (down) position. The water supply to the inlet side of the valve is in the on position with plenty of pressure. The icemaker line is not frozen.

Bartolo M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

If no water is coming out of the ice maker side of the valve, then you probably need a new one. I think those valves just wear out, I saw one that did that once.

KennMacMoragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

Come to my house and I will give you a half-dozen ice-maker water control valves that read good continuity, or "ring out", but did not work when removed from service. Most of these valves have internal parts that go bad, or get grit from the water supply in them. I carry rebuilt valves with me and offer them to customers-cheap. IF I change out a valve for a new one, I rebuild the old one-usually a good internal cleaning, and keep it IF it works on my test stand. This is a good time to find out how one of these valves work. IF your's does not work you have two options, replace it with a new one, OR- take your's apart to see how it works, and see if you can clean/repair the internal parts. Often the screen on the inlet side is clogged and needs cleaning. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote