Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Kitchen vent hood CFMs

I am thinking of purchasing a wall hood with 760 cfm output (no outside venting). I would like to have it hang higher than the recommended height. For it to be 30 inches from the cooktop, I should have it hang down 30 inches from the ceiling, but I would like to have it at 14 inches from the ceiling. Would it still be effective?

The ceiling height is 8 ft and the kitchen is about 11 ft x 10 ft. It is open to the dining & living area, and the total square footage is about 550.

hgtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
fabrk8r

Kitchen vent hood CFMs

Personally I wouldn't use a ductless kitchen hood. They are pretty much useless for removing smoke, odors and moisture from cooking.

This is especially true if you are going to hang it 16" higher than the mfg. recommends.

Is there any way you can use a ducted hood?

Old 08-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #3

Kitchen vent hood CFMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
Personally I wouldn't use a ductless kitchen hood. They are pretty much useless for removing smoke, odors and moisture from cooking.

This is especially true if you are going to hang it 16" higher than the mfg. recommends.

Is there any way you can use a ducted hood?
Unfortunately, I am in a condo and can not vent it outside
Old 08-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
fabrk8r

Kitchen vent hood CFMs

I was reading your other thread entitled "Recirculating kitchen range hoods" when you were responding to my last post.

I guess if you have no other options, then the 760 cfm fan will work. Kitchens should have about 15 air changes per hour. Your kitchen requires 220 cfm for that, but you want it oversized.

Does the hood you are looking at have charcoal filters?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #5

Kitchen vent hood CFMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
I was reading your other thread entitled "Recirculating kitchen range hoods" when you were responding to my last post.

I guess if you have no other options, then the 760 cfm fan will work. Kitchens should have about 15 air changes per hour. Your kitchen requires 220 cfm for that, but you want it oversized.

Does the hood you are looking at have charcoal filters?
Yes, charcoal filters are available for the hood I'm looking to get. That is good to know about the 15 air changes per hour. I also have a ceiling fan in the living room and a patio door I can open...
Old 08-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6

Kitchen vent hood CFMs

I agree with not using a ductless kitchen vent, but given that is not an option, I certainly would adhere as closely to the manufacturer's recommendations as possible. So, if that excludes the one that you are currently looking at, I would do some more shopping. Not that there are an endless number of options, but there are certainly enough that you should be able to find one that better suits your requirements.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #7

Kitchen vent hood CFMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgtv View Post
I am thinking of purchasing a wall hood with 760 cfm output (no outside venting). I would like to have it hang higher than the recommended height. For it to be 30 inches from the cooktop, I should have it hang down 30 inches from the ceiling, but I would like to have it at 14 inches from the ceiling. Would it still be effective?

The ceiling height is 8 ft and the kitchen is about 11 ft x 10 ft. It is open to the dining & living area, and the total square footage is about 550.
short answer is no. you might want to explore other options ....

BronzeGenius is offline   Reply With Quote