Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Kitchen vent hood CFMs


I am thinking of purchasing a wall hood with 760 cfm output (no outside venting). I would like to have it hang higher than the recommended height. For it to be 30 inches from the cooktop, I should have it hang down 30 inches from the ceiling, but I would like to have it at 14 inches from the ceiling. Would it still be effective?

The ceiling height is 8 ft and the kitchen is about 11 ft x 10 ft. It is open to the dining & living area, and the total square footage is about 550.

hgtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
fabrk8r
 
fabrk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 849
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Kitchen vent hood CFMs


Personally I wouldn't use a ductless kitchen hood. They are pretty much useless for removing smoke, odors and moisture from cooking.

This is especially true if you are going to hang it 16" higher than the mfg. recommends.

Is there any way you can use a ducted hood?

__________________
"The physician can bury his mistakes, but the architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
fabrk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Kitchen vent hood CFMs


Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
Personally I wouldn't use a ductless kitchen hood. They are pretty much useless for removing smoke, odors and moisture from cooking.

This is especially true if you are going to hang it 16" higher than the mfg. recommends.

Is there any way you can use a ducted hood?
Unfortunately, I am in a condo and can not vent it outside
hgtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
fabrk8r
 
fabrk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 849
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Kitchen vent hood CFMs


I was reading your other thread entitled "Recirculating kitchen range hoods" when you were responding to my last post.

I guess if you have no other options, then the 760 cfm fan will work. Kitchens should have about 15 air changes per hour. Your kitchen requires 220 cfm for that, but you want it oversized.

Does the hood you are looking at have charcoal filters?
__________________
"The physician can bury his mistakes, but the architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
fabrk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Kitchen vent hood CFMs


Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
I was reading your other thread entitled "Recirculating kitchen range hoods" when you were responding to my last post.

I guess if you have no other options, then the 760 cfm fan will work. Kitchens should have about 15 air changes per hour. Your kitchen requires 220 cfm for that, but you want it oversized.

Does the hood you are looking at have charcoal filters?
Yes, charcoal filters are available for the hood I'm looking to get. That is good to know about the 15 air changes per hour. I also have a ceiling fan in the living room and a patio door I can open...
hgtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,742
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Kitchen vent hood CFMs


I agree with not using a ductless kitchen vent, but given that is not an option, I certainly would adhere as closely to the manufacturer's recommendations as possible. So, if that excludes the one that you are currently looking at, I would do some more shopping. Not that there are an endless number of options, but there are certainly enough that you should be able to find one that better suits your requirements.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Kitchen vent hood CFMs


Quote:
Originally Posted by hgtv View Post
I am thinking of purchasing a wall hood with 760 cfm output (no outside venting). I would like to have it hang higher than the recommended height. For it to be 30 inches from the cooktop, I should have it hang down 30 inches from the ceiling, but I would like to have it at 14 inches from the ceiling. Would it still be effective?

The ceiling height is 8 ft and the kitchen is about 11 ft x 10 ft. It is open to the dining & living area, and the total square footage is about 550.
short answer is no. you might want to explore other options ....

BronzeGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two kitchen sinks on one vent? Alsomee Plumbing 1 09-30-2007 07:36 PM
can I 'patch in' a bathroom vent into my kitchen's stove hood vent? joeyboy HVAC 2 09-10-2007 12:36 PM
Source needed: 6" Vent Hood for siding STEPHENWANGEL Remodeling 8 09-01-2007 10:52 PM
Island Hood Vent Centering Problems Dana Remodeling 2 07-13-2005 07:37 AM
Replacing old kitchen vent fan NewHomeOwner Remodeling 1 10-20-2004 07:59 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.