Kennmore Spin Cycle Slipping - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 91

Kennmore spin cycle slipping

Kennmore 90 series washer. Just recently in spin cycle it's slipping. Takes a while to get up to top speed. Large load it won't even spin. Any help on this is appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement

gmbwrenchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmbwrenchn View Post
Kennmore 90 series washer. Just recently in spin cycle it's slipping. Takes a while to get up to top speed. Large load it won't even spin. Any help on this is appreciated, thanks.
Replace the belt.
Tilt the washer back and look at the belt, probably worn.
Easy to replace.

Advertisement

sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #3

Thanks..........sounds simple enough. I like it!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

yup, probably belt, but check to see if there is oil on it. The tranny might be leaking.

By the way, those belts are actually designed to slip at startup, so dont think somethings wrong if yours does. I had a good old tech out to work on a kenmore washer that was overflowing and he explained how they do that because its cheaper, and better than trying to build a torque converter that can handle start up resistance with various loads applied. Pretty clever and simple way to handle a complex problem. You have to have the exact right belt though, one that is impregnated with silicone so it slips. Dont try to use any old belt, it will tear up things in your gear case.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #5

Flipped the washer over to take a look. There is oil visible all around. I suspect tranny is leaking as mentioned by Jagans. So.........repairable? What are we talking, gaskets? Also, where is the belt located on this thing. See pic. Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Kennmore spin cycle slipping-img_20130908_140201_121-1-.jpg  
Old 09-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #6

I don't even think there is a belt on this model. #110.22912101
Old 09-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Roofmaster

I dont either, now that I see it. Looks like a worm gear on the motor to a pinion on the shaft. go to parts tree, or Sears Parts and see what you have.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #8

Yea I did. It has a transmission in it. I would suspect that it's bad. Gotta be it. Go to searspartsdirect.com to see the parts diagram. Tell me what you think, thanks. Model # 11022912101
Old 09-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Roofmaster

I would say that if you have several kids, and the washer is over 12 years old, its time to bite the bullet and buy a new washer. We have owned two front loaders, and we would never go back to a top load model, as the front loaders use much less water, and their high spin speed reduces the cost to dry your clothes significantly. They are rather expensive, but well worth the extra cost IMHO.

Its really a shame, but the cost of parts today usually renders repair a bad financial decision, especially if its a transmission.

Just checked, Tranny is $ 196 and change, right? and that assumes that is all you need. Probably not.

Just looked again. Odds are you developed a leak in the seal of the tranny, and oil was thrown onto the clutch drum above the tranny. Looks like what we used to call a centrifugal, or Mercury clutch, the faster the shaft spins the more the bands are applied by centrifugal force. Just for the heck of it, and if you are strapped, you might want to try spraying the clutch and bands with brake parts cleaner. If this works, maybe you can replace the seals and make sure the tranny has the correct amount of lubrication, and maybe clean up the drum and replace the bands. This is truly speculation, because I am not a washing machine tech. Just a pretty good mechanic regarding things mechanical. Not sure how handy you are, but its worth a try if you cant afford a new washer.

Last edited by jagans; 09-08-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #10

Yea I know.........want to upgrade soon just a shame that it has to be that way with the cost of parts. I know what your saying and thanks for the advice. E-bay has some for a lot less. May go that route for now.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
Roofmaster

Quote:
Yea I know.........want to upgrade soon just a shame that it has to be that way with the cost of parts. I know what your saying and thanks for the advice. E-bay has some for a lot less. May go that route for now.
Good Move. It looks pretty simple under there. Nothing ventured, nothing Gained. input the part number on ebay, you might get really lucky. Most of my parts come from there. The thing with a clothes washer is how long can you be without it without the little lady blowing a head gasket. Keep that in mind when you choose the type of shipping. By the way most Kenmore's are made by Whirlpool, and the part numbers are often the same so check Whirlpool too. I get parts from appliance parts online in FL. Good prices.

Sorry, its appliance pros. Check this out, they have the clutch assy for 32 bucks, and maybe you can find the seal you need. http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...022912101.html

Last edited by jagans; 09-08-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #12

Thanks for the continued advice and help! This is where we are at. Got it all ripped apart. ( Yea I'm a pretty handy guy ) Went in deep. Trans replacement is out. Not needed. Looks like I'm going to need just the clutch assembly and trans. shaft seal. Found them both on E-bay (unbelievable). Total parts: $42 bucks. Only thing I really need yet, which I can't find separately, is the gear lube for the transmission. Gotta be able to throw something in there that's viscosity close, eh? Wife is very patient while it's down. Thanks again, G
Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Roofmaster

Quote:
Thanks for the continued advice and help! This is where we are at. Got it all ripped apart. ( Yea I'm a pretty handy guy ) Went in deep. Trans replacement is out. Not needed. Looks like I'm going to need just the clutch assembly and trans. shaft seal. Found them both on E-bay (unbelievable). Total parts: $42 bucks. Only thing I really need yet, which I can't find separately, is the gear lube for the transmission. Gotta be able to throw something in there that's viscosity close, eh? Wife is very patient while it's down. Thanks again, G
Found this for model 110.28942891: (check to see if they are similar) The total volume of oil inside the transmission is between 13-15 ounces of SAE non-detergent non-foaming 60wt motor oil. (Tractor Supply, maybe?)

By the way, check the snubbers if it has them, maybe yours are worn? Good Job Mate, my hat is off to you! Dont forget Lock-Tite Blue, and clean all your connections with CRC QD electronics cleaner (Wal-Mart)

Last edited by jagans; 09-09-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #14

Sounds close enough to me. Good enough for a washing machine! Thanks for the other tips. Will do. We'll keep you up to date when I get her back up and running, G
Old 09-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #15

Update time.............works like it's brand new! Used 85w gear oil and thinned it out with some Mobile one 5w-30 and called it good. Replaced every seal in the trans. Also replaced the clutch lining which was the big one. The clutch lining was very worn from 12yrs. of usage. Seals were leaking oil into the clutch lining area, causing the tub to slip. Thanks for all your help and advice. You really helped made this repair a success for me. Gary

Advertisement