Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Kenmore top mount refrigerator 970-408.121

Hi,

I just noticed that the front external sides of the freezer are very hot, I mean both sides, the top and particularly, when opening the freezer door, the bottom is almost untouchable, too hot.

Now, during these days we have outside temperatures ranging between 85-90F but I am not sure this is normal.
The freezer temperature I measured is 8.6 F although in my opinion should be at least -0.4F.
I will now try to turn the knob to 'colder' and see what happens.

I am also measuring the refrigerator temperature to check if this is good enough.

What should be the things to check on the back of the appliance?

Thanks for your advice.

Alex

Metallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,070

May just happen to be in the defrost cycle when you felt it, if it does it all the time the defroster can be bad.
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta...rHelpVideoTabs

Old 07-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
May just happen to be in the defrost cycle when you felt it, if it does it all the time the defroster can be bad.
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta...rHelpVideoTabs
Well, it does it all the time and after having turned the knob to colder for 12 hours, the freezer does not go further down than 8.6F.

Refrigerator is working perfectly fine.

How can I make sure the defroster is bad before buying the part?
Or is this the only thing that can cause the problem?

Thank you
Alex
Old 07-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 266

Another possibility could be a bad condenser fan motor. Model number you gave doesn't work on Sears PartsDirect so could not be sure. Look behind the bottom kick panel and see if there are coils under there. If so, look for a fan mounted near the back. Should be running whenever the compressor runs.
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownken View Post
Another possibility could be a bad condenser fan motor. Model number you gave doesn't work on Sears PartsDirect so could not be sure. Look behind the bottom kick panel and see if there are coils under there. If so, look for a fan mounted near the back. Should be running whenever the compressor runs.
I think you are right, the condenser fan does not work, and in this moment the freezer is set to colder, the amount of heat that is coming from the bottom is a lot.

Now, could be the possible reason why the fan does not work?
By your experience, should I try to fix the fan or am I wasting my time and should I buy a new one?

Buying a new one...where? This is Canadian stuff, as you noticed, does not appear in Sears PartsDirect, although it is probably mounted on hundreds of US models too.

Thanks for your help

Alex

PS: Found the problem, I tried to move the fan blade with a wooden stick, it rotated half a turn and blocked itself because a part of the blade was broken, I took off the broken part and the remaining began to spin. I have no idea how part of a fan can so easily break, even if it is made out of plastic, it must be bad plastic.
I guess I will have to find a new fan or perhaps a metal blade?
Attached Thumbnails
Kenmore top mount refrigerator 970-408.121-img_3916-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Metallo; 07-19-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Additinal information
Old 07-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 266

If the fan is spinning now, you could probably get away with just replacing the blades if you can get them separately. The entire assembly used to be around $50 but it has been quite a few years since the last one I bought. I would try the Canadian Sears parts site, or go to a Sears parts center and have them look it up. Get the numbers and then hit Google. Lay you odds you can find a replacement cheaper than from Sears. If the fan is not running now, put any fan you have behind the refrigerator to move air over those coils.
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #7

I will look at the Canadian parts site but the model # is not found, although this model is clearly marked inside the fridge.
Hopefully, I will be able to see it when I remove the fan (by the way, it is working perfectly now and the freezer temp went down to 0F).
I will try to put a metal blade if I find it.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Alex