DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Kenmore side by side not cooling properly

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  GGK 
#1 ·
The freezer is working fine but the refrigerator is not cooling properly. It is pretty much room temprature. So I checked the air flow coming from the freezer and it was very weak. I did not see any ice blocking it either. So it's obviously the fan system. Is this something I can buy and replace myself or should I pay someone to do it?!

Thanks

#6 ·
I had a similar problem with my Kenmore side by side. The freezer side worked great, the "cooler" side was almost at room temp. I went on line and found some help. Eventually I removed the mechanism that operates a "shutter" on the upper left side of the cooler. I had to remove the "shutter" mechanism from inside the freezer compartment, (it's easy). It was in a full closed position. The thing works fine now. I have a "cheapo" thermometer I keep inside and the temp is at a very acceptable +-6C. The freezer runs at +- -20C. ALSO!!! On mine, there is a recirculation vent about 2/3 of the way from the top that allows air flow from cooler to freezer. DON'T LET IT GET BLOCKED. My wife put a loaf of bread up against it, and it almost had me pulling my hair out thinking the "fridge" was "pooched" again. HA!

I hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.