Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kenmore refrig not cool enough

Hello All,

I'm a newbie on these forums, everything I've been reading is very helpful.
Anyway, I have a Kenmore 106.79852990 Fridge with Top Freezer. I keep it outside in a outdoor porch area so it's out of most of the elements. As it just got really hot here this past weekend the refrigerator and freezer have not been cold at all, to the point that ice melts, anything frozen in freezer has melted and the new case of beer isn't cold at all after 2 days. Both fans work, the compressor seems to come on, I removed the back panel of the freezer and the top right corner of the evaporator is frozen. There is something in there wrapped in what looks to be black silicone or dumdum and encased in clear plastic, and there is also a small round sensor or something there, I think that maybe the defrost thermostat. I don't know howto test it to see if it's bad or what may be bad.

Any ideas? I have lots of hand tools and DVOM if I need to test measurements of the components.

Thanks.

mxrider29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrider29 View Post
Hello All,

Both fans work, the compressor seems to come on, I removed the back panel of the freezer and the top right corner of the evaporator is frozen.

Thanks.
should be no ice, no build up of any kind. what you should see is a frost pattern covering the entire evap. coil from top to bottom. If you only have frost/ice in the upper right hand corner your unit is low on refrigerant.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #3

Thank you for your response. How could i have lost Refeigerant all of a sudden? Can I add refrigerant to it or does it need a service call?About how much to get that done?

Last edited by mxrider29; 05-30-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,018

adding refrigerant is pointless, first the leak must be located and repaired. Repairs of this nature are generally very expensive and not done. But we still have not determined if it is low, what does the frost pattern look like on the coil?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #5

It defrosted overnight, I put it back together and turned it on. I'll check the frost pattern when it gets cold.