Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #1

Share |

Kenmore model 110 washer motor coupler failure

I have a Kenmore model 110.16502690 top load washer that's been pretty reliable over the years.

About a month ago it stopped working, basket won't spin but I could hear the motor turning. After taking it apart it was the motor coupling that broke. The "black rubber wheel" in the middle of that sandwich cracked and broke off.

I looked up a nearby appliance parts store and went over to get a replacement. I asked for a genuine OEM replacement but they gave me something that looked a little different. They said this is the genuine replacement part and that's all that's available, and I did search online as well and that seems to be all that's available as well.

I did see some "versions" of this part, there is another version where the white couplers on either sides with a metal sleeve, but I also saw a few web sites stating this is a bad design because if it's going to fail, they prefer the coupler to fail instead of a much more expensive part, makes sense.

The part I got from this appliance store says "285753" and the brand name is "Jason".

Now a month later, I have the same failure. The middle piece cracked, so did one of the white couplers.

Now I am wondering...why it failed? Is it:

#1: The part I got is generic, inferior and just doesn't last long. If so where can I get reliable genuine OEM parts?

#2: Just a coincidence, may be an extra heavy load of laundry and things weren't balanced and this happened, in which case I would go get another "Jason" part 285753.

#3: An indication something else is not aligned which caused stress to the motor coupling, which broke it the first time and now the second time. I need to diagnose somewhere else to trace the source of the real problem, or else I would be replacing motor couplings every few weeks. If that's the case, where should I look?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #2

Kenmore model 110 washer motor coupler failure

I would suspect a defective part. Go and claim warranty on the old one at the location where you purchased it. Also, I would order another brand online i.e FSP or similar in case that one fails too.

I wouldn't start chasing down another problem without first ruling out a possible defective part.

mlijoi is offline   Reply With Quote