Kenmore Ice Maker Problem - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kenmore ice maker problem

Hello all,

I have searched and read up on here as much as I can but I have not found the answer yet.

Kenmore model #596.52673200 Serial #10961688AT

The ice maker seems to be making ice fine.But it is either leaking water from the tray or over filling for some reason all the sudden.It seems to be dripping down into the ice tray and making a small mountain of ice upwards to the maker.I then have to chip it out and clean out the tray.The ice in the tray seems to be melted together as well.Water is defiantely making its way down into the tray.It was doing it only at the front of the tray but now its towards the back as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks John

Advertisement

Jrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

the 596,is an amana built for kenmore. normally,when your having an overflow,as you are,the water valve is leaking by. there is also the chance,that your water pressure, has risen higher{house water pressure regulator,failing}. hope this helps d scott

Advertisement

d scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #3

Water pressure seems to be the same.I just watched it cycle through and push out the fresh cubes.Right after it dumps fresh water into the tray,it then drips from both front and rear underneath the maker.Too much water?I now have water dripping from the bottom side of the maker.A very small amout but it makes a big mess.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #4

J,your gonna have to replace the water valve. Pull up Sears Parts Direct,You"ll be able to get your part number. Probably cheaper,at local parts house. thx d scott
Old 02-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by d scott View Post
J,your gonna have to replace the water valve. Pull up Sears Parts Direct,You"ll be able to get your part number. Probably cheaper,at local parts house. thx d scott
Thanks for the help.Do you think the valve is not closing all the way and leaking? Where is it located? I'll search the Sears part site.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

if it's getting normal amount of water, about 7sec fill, not overfilling mold, the i/m is bad. common problem. either mineral deposits on funnel misdirecting water or mold has leak. if valve is bad, water will continue to come in when valve is de-energized.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
if it's getting normal amount of water, about 7sec fill, not overfilling mold, the i/m is bad. common problem. either mineral deposits on funnel misdirecting water or mold has leak. if valve is bad, water will continue to come in when valve is de-energized.
This was my intial thought.Can I take the machine of and inspect it? I assume I/m is ice mold?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #8

Been my experience,after time and use,water valves will seep by,slowly,if mold had a hole in it,would probably leak all the way empty,not making ice at all,or hollow cubes. Water valve is located at lower left hand corner,looking from rear of machine.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Don't throw a water valve at it just yet. You'll probably be waisting your money. If the valve shuts off with now dripping after the valve is probably ok. The water valve switch contacts in those modules will go bad and stay on too long and let too much water in. The solution is a new motor module.

Advertisement

sv9779 is offline   Reply With Quote