Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #1

Share |

Kenmore Ice maker modular unit

I have the modular unit and performed the two tests with my multi-meter as suggested in
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli...trolmodule.php
I got 4k ohms when it said it could be as many as 10,000 on the control modular motor. I am not sure if low continuity is a bad sign or not.
I got 71 out of 60 to 90 on the heater so it passed.

I believe there was a jam and the driven gear came off and I am not sure which way it should go. I have a 50/50 chance of getting it right. I have tried both ways.

I am not getting any water coming out of the fill tube either. I have tried turning the thermostat as cold as I can to no avail.

I marked the drive gear and it does turn as does the driven gear.

I am not sure if I should buy a new module or look further into the water supply. I do get water out of my water dispenser though and recently changed the filters

speedyts49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #2

The drive gear shouldn’t come off at all so if the gear is off you need to replace the modular. But in my experience the whole icemaker cost almost the same as the modular so you may want to just buy the whole icemaker kit. Also the kit comes with the water valve and you may need that as well. Note that the valve that comes with the kit will not fit refrigerators with water dispensers

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 09-30-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: removed adv link in post
applianceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by applianceman View Post
The drive gear shouldn’t come off at all so if the gear is off you need to replace the modular. But in my experience the whole icemaker cost almost the same as the modular so you may want to just buy the whole icemaker kit. Also the kit comes with the water valve and you may need that as well. Note that the valve that comes with the kit will not fit refrigerators with water dispensers
the drive gear was ok but the driven was broken.
I picked up a new ice maker off of eBay and I checked continuity of the new unit and it was the same as the old one.
Anyway I now have ice and at a good price($75 tyd)!
thanks for the help
speedyts49 is offline   Reply With Quote