Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 35

Kenmore dryer squeeks at beginning of cycles

Hello
A few months ago, we noticed that our dryer squeeked at a high pitch when we dried heavy loads- towels and bedsheets. During other loads, it didnt squeek too much.

Now, we notice that it squeeks at the beginning of all cycles, and eventually (near halfway) it quiets down - perhaps as clothes lose moisture.

Do I need to replace the pulley and/or the bearing kit?

Also. Since day 1 of this dryer, it emits a high pitch hum as it dryers. I've taken it apart to look at the exhaust tube to make sure it wasnt blocked, and I've looked at it endlessly. I've come to the conclusion that it is a noise that the dryer makes, and I have to live with it. Period. Is that right? Could something be causing that hum since day 1 of use?

NABRIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,154

Yes they do sell rebuild/repair kits for idler pulley, blower wheel, rear bearings, and drum belt. Usually you get the best deal when you buy as a complete set. What is make and model number? Gas or electric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABRIL View Post
Also. Since day 1 of this dryer, it emits a high pitch hum as it dryers. I've taken it apart to look at the exhaust tube to make sure it wasnt blocked, and I've looked at it endlessly. I've come to the conclusion that it is a noise that the dryer makes, and I have to live with it. Period. Is that right? Could something be causing that hum since day 1 of use?
My first thought was maybe an exhaust/venting issue, but you have already ruled that out. Did you disconnect it from the vent and run it with no vent connected to see if the high pitch sound went away?

How old is it? Can it be returned for another one? If it's been doing this high pitch hum since day one, should have been returned for another one before the 90 days expired. Call or go online and ask the manufacturer directly if this is normal, as there may have been a recall on them. May save you some money. Worth a shot.

Last edited by jmon; 11-21-2013 at 10:36 AM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
NABRIL (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #3

thanks jmon
It is a Kenmore 417.83142300. I am looking at replacing the bearing kit.

yes, I should have returned it to Sears as soon as I heard that hum, but I was told in another forum that it might be the air circulating through the motor rotor, and that sort of makes sense.

I just bought a new oven, and to cool it down, it has a fan that blows out the hot air. It is fairly noisy, but it prevents the circuit boards from heating up.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Your welcome. Hopefully the bearing kit will help. While you have it all apart, that's the time to check it out really good. Lube the idler pulleys, check belt for cracks etc. Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
NABRIL (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Just ran into this with our GE front loader. 175$ repair bill and 2 bearings later and we are good as gold.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eharri3 For This Useful Post:
jmon (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 506

My 25 year old Kenmore electric dryer has been squeaking like that for a minute or so after startup for several years. I guess I'll just run it for awhile longer but not gonna put $175 into such an old unit... When it fails it will be time for a new one.
jmon (11-21-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Your welcome. Hopefully the bearing kit will help. While you have it all apart, that's the time to check it out really good. Lube the idler pulleys, check belt for cracks etc. Just a thought.
JMON - I replaced the bearing in the back, and the squeal is gone. Thank you and all. It was easy. While I had it open, I cleaned out a butload of lint from everywhere, and lubricated all moving parts.

I would like to come up with some way to quiet the high-pitched hum of the rotating air wheel. I realize that it whistles by design and airflow, and I've lived with it since 2004 in 3 different homes. But, there must be a way to disrupt the airflow somehow and quiet that thing down since it is pretty annoying.

thanks again
Old 12-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 506

Good job, Nabril! And whatever you did must have sent me some good karma since my dryer seems to have quieted down some, too. :-)
Old 12-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Retired Army Veteran

Your welcome. Good job. Glad it works like you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABRIL View Post
I would like to come up with some way to quiet the high-pitched hum of the rotating air wheel. I realize that it whistles by design and airflow, and I've lived with it since 2004 in 3 different homes. But, there must be a way to disrupt the airflow somehow and quiet that thing down since it is pretty annoying.thanks again
I don't really know of any way to make the high-pitched hum go away entirely, as they all make some kind of noise when drying. However, there might be something caught in the blower wheel (obstructions/lint, etc.), or the drum might be binding (sometimes small socks get sucked in). Try removing the belt from the motor and checking the blower wheel for obstructions or lint build up next time you feel ambious.