Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #1

Share |

Kenmore dryer low heat

I have an older Kenmore front loading dryer, model 417.92142101. It is not heating up well. It sounds like the burner kicks on once, but then either doesn't stay on for very long or doesn't come back on after turning off.

I removed the front panel - the door and everything comes off as one - to take a look at things. I can clearly see the burner assembly and the blower motor. I pulled the wiring schematic out of the dryer and I measured the "high limit thermostat" with my dmm and it measured closed (0.1-0.2 ohms).

I have figured out that the "control thermostat" is the thing on the blower fan, but it has 4 connections and I'm not sure what to measure (or what it should come out to). I've seen videos and other tips refer to thermal fuses, but from the wiring schematic it doesn't seem like this dryer has one.

I'd like to run it with the front panel off so I can see what the igniter is doing, but I don't see how I can do that. It looks like the front of the drum is supposed to ride on a felt bushing that is attached to the front panel. Am I off base by wanting to run it with this all opened up so I can see what the igniter is doing? Are there other simple measurements I can make with my dmm?

Here are a few photos. Thanks for any suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Kenmore dryer low heat-dryer_1_sm.jpg   Kenmore dryer low heat-dryer_2_sm.jpg   Kenmore dryer low heat-dryer_3_sm.jpg  

kristok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #2

Kenmore dryer low heat

The two outer terminals on the control thermostat should read closed (zero ohms) and the two inner terminals (bias heater) should read 2.95k ohms (2.95 thousand). Bias heater is used when low heat setting is selected. What I do when troubleshooting dryers like this is to attach test wires where I want them and run them out any access holes in the cabinet so I can take my measurements with cabinet fully assembled and running. Some gas dryers have access panels so that you can at least see if the igniter is working, don't know about this particular machine. Gas valve coils are a common failure part that present symptoms that you are having but could be any number of things. There's no belt switch on this model so you could take the belt loose from motor pulley and run dryer with front panel off to check a couple things but it's not going to cycle properly because you won't have proper air flow.

thefixer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #3

Kenmore dryer low heat

I check the two outer terminals - they are closed. The two inner terminals are 3.7k, but the wiring diagram I have shows that is the correct value.

The diagram shows this has 3 coils - "booster coil", "secondary coil", and "holding coil". How can I check them?

There isn't an easy access panel in the back, but I may be able to peek through a small hole in the back to see what the burner is doing.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #4

Kenmore dryer low heat

Holding coil should read around 1365 ohms, booster coil 560 ohms and secondary coil 1220 ohms. Probably ok though as you said you did get flame at one point. These coils can read ok and function ok initially yet still fail after burner is on. Common for them to be intermittent. Interesting that your wiring diagram shows 3.7k for the bias heater. Here is link to parts manual with wiring schematic showing 2.95k

ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/prodinfo...r/95361069.pdf
thefixer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #5

Kenmore dryer low heat

I bet its the 2 little black coils under that tie wrap. Mine have failed 2 times on a Maytag causing it to no heat. I forget their name.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #6

Kenmore dryer low heat

Just to wrap this up, it was the coils. Not sure exactly which one as we replaced both of them. They must have just been starting to go, because their resistance measured OK, but after the burner was on for a few minutes they would give out.