Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #1

Share |

Kenmore Dishwasher Leaks

I have been watching this for a few months trying to figure when in its cycle it leaks and it looks like its in the dry cycle...I'm not getting that. And the water comes from the left side but that could just be the floor level and its not a lot.

Before I pull it out, I wanted some direction what I'm looking for when its out. Oh, and I have tried to cutting back on detergent but it still happens...the Kenmore is probably twenty years old but I am single and it only gets used once a week.

hunt4cleanair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
English Only Please

Kenmore Dishwasher Leaks

After/during the next cycle, remove the kick plate and see if it is leaking from underneath. It's either leaking from under there or its leaking from one of the door seals.

BirdSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdSlapper For This Useful Post:
hunt4cleanair (05-20-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #3

Kenmore Dishwasher Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdSlapper View Post
After/during the next cycle, remove the kick plate and see if it is leaking from underneath. It's either leaking from under there or its leaking from one of the door seals.
Slapper!

Ok so I watched it for the full cycle, well on and off. It leaks from above the motor both when its filling with water and at the end in the dry mode. Once it hits DRY, it leaks constantly probably draining from the catch basin inside the machine. Once the motor cranks the plastic flywheel spins and tosses water but than the leak stops. It only seems to leak under pressure and at the end of the cycle.

Also, there would always be water left in what I call the basin but I realized the water is no longer being retained there...its what I am sopping up at the end of the wash/dry cycle.

Is this something I can replace or just call an applicance repairman?
Old 05-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
English Only Please

Kenmore Dishwasher Leaks

You need to pinpoint the exact location of the leak. Are you sure that the leak isn't coming from one of the hoses?
BirdSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Kenmore Dishwasher Leaks

sounds like you have a pump seal that is leaking. Depending on the model it could get a little pricey
Old 05-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #6

Kenmore Dishwasher Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdSlapper View Post
You need to pinpoint the exact location of the leak. Are you sure that the leak isn't coming from one of the hoses?
Pretty sure. The water inlet copper tube comes in at the front of the washer while the drain pump is on the left side front. The water drop/leak comes from above the motor in the center and as described.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #7

Kenmore Dishwasher Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
sounds like you have a pump seal that is leaking. Depending on the model it could get a little pricey
Its a Kenmore model 5471648581 and looks like PartSelect offers replacement seals for $38.00. Can this be done from the topside (inside) without pulling the unit out and accessing from underneath?
Old 05-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Kenmore Dishwasher Leaks

recheck the model# you posted, it will not come up for me
Old 05-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #9

Kenmore Dishwasher Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
recheck the model# you posted, it will not come up for me
oops!

Thanks for catching that.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Kenmore Dishwasher Leaks

thats a very old dishwasher, you may want to rethink the repair part. But if you want to go ahead you do not need to pull it out you can replace that seal from the top side.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #11

Kenmore Dishwasher Leaks

Well I am going to attempt a repair here. So I pull the faucet type thing that spins and sprays water, remove a tub, filled with water and get down to what I call a flywheel. I go to remove it but it spins. Its made of plastic, does not want to loosen easily and not sure how to prevent it from spinning while putting a nut driver to it.

I am assuming the seal is contained within this part or at its base.

I got it! Used a long thin screwdriver to hold the flywheel

Kenmore Dishwasher Leaks-flywheel.jpg

Last edited by hunt4cleanair; 05-28-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #12

Kenmore Dishwasher Leaks

Well I have removed all the parts on the surface and have gotten to this point. I am not sure how to remove this plastic insert. There is also a rubber gasket that surrounds it but it feels like its tucked in underneath the plastic insert.

Kenmore Dishwasher Leaks-dsc03491.jpg
Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Kenmore Dishwasher Leaks

I think all you need to do now is remove that pump impeller (brown piece) and the seal is right below that. If it does not pull off you may have to break it off(order new one).