Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kenmore dishwasher 665.1637 pump leak

I've got a Kenmore Ultra 665.1637 dishwasher that is about 8 years old. Had an issue with lack of water. Found out that the valve was barely opening. Replaced it, and it fills fine now.

When I removed the dishwasher, I noticed a dried spot on the floor that was directly below the pump motor. I could tell that the volume of water was miniscule. While I had the pump/sump assembly out, I found that the chopper was in terrible condition so I replaced it. I had the entire assembly apart to clean it, since it was full of "gunk".

I have reassembled the dishwasher, but I have a leak. It is dripping from the bottom of the pump/motor area. As near as I can tell, it's not from the drain pump seal or from the main tub/sump seal. I really think the culprit is the seal around the main pump. There is only 1 bolt/screw to hold it in place, and it might actually function more to keep the pump from turning. The pump locks into place, but it doesn't really tighten like I would think it should. Also, if you tighten the one bolt to hold it, the pump seems to seal on one side, but can pull out from the other. It seems as if there should be some sort of cam or ramp to tighten this. Is this a common leaking spot?

If so, should a seal stop the leak? Is my gasket deformed so that it doesn't tighten? Thanks so much for any help. I really don't want to buy a whole pump/sump assembly if a gasket will fix it.

diy mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Kenmore dishwasher 665.1637 pump leak

As I've tried to read a bit more on this, and removed the pump again, I think the volute may be this issue. According to the Sears parts site, the gasket/seal is no longer available as a single part, but is sold as part of the volute assembly. looks like there could be several place to leak from there.

diy mikey is offline   Reply With Quote