Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
What's a "Tool?"

Share |

Keeping the bank from owning my OTR microwave

Hi all - like some of you, we're being foreclosed upon very soon. I bought a new ceramic flattop stove a few years ago that I want to take with us. We're moving to an older unit, and I'm swapping out the old coil top there for my newer one. And yes, I have permission from the owners of the new unit to upgrade their home (it's my sister's)

However, the house we're moving into only has a fan hood above it; whereas in the house we're being evicted from has an over-the-range microwave with fan.

How hard would it be to remove the microwave and swap it out for the plain fan/hood? Are the locations of the fan vents standard, and would the microwave be difficult to remove? From what I can see, there are two screws near the front of the cabinet above going down into the top front of the microwave. I am assuming there's a bracket of some sort in the rear attached to a stud; with a lip to hold the microwave up?

As you can tell, I'm just guessing - anyone out there experienced at installing / removing over-the-range microwaves? Would it take an enormous amount of luck to have the two parts interchangeable; or are most things standard (they both seem to be the same 30" width)? Thanks in advance.

AZJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #2

1st thing to check is if the bank will assess you for damages if you remove appliances

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
What's a "Tool?"

Thanks, SD. Like I said, I'm replacing the stove with one that is identical to the one that was there when I purchased the house. I don't see why the bank should profit from me buying a better stove.

And the house was built in 1995; the microwave was installed in 2002.

I'm even selling boulders and flagstone I had put in the back yard a few years ago. I figured the bank can have the house in the condition I bought it - I see no reason for them to profit from my home improvements. I mean, hey - it's not like I'm pulling out copper wires and pipe, or pouring quikrete into the toilets . . . .
Old 12-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

only problem with removing the otr is you will be left with 2 very large holes in the back wall where the microwave bracket was. If your handy I suppose you could patch it back up.
hardwareman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

fairly easy to remove: remove the top 2 bolts that go through the cabinet. tilt micro forward and lift, that will free you from the bottom bracket, now you can just lift it on out. you can then remove the bottom bracket. reinstalling will be the harder part if you do not have the original install templates telling you where to drill all your holes. plus I would assume since you are taking a hood down, it is more than likely direct wired, which means you will have to pull the wire into the upper cabinet and put in an outlet.
hardwareman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
SDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post
. I don't see why the bank should profit from me buying a better stove.
Sorry, but I bet they are losing money....If they had their way...they would rather not foreclose.

I agree with Scuba Dave, might be worth checking.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
What's a "Tool?"

Thanks for all the advice - I believe after viewing all the replies, I'll just swap stoves and leave it at that. If I can gain employment after the move, perhaps I'll upgrade the hood to an OTR microwave at the new place sometime in the future. For now, though, I don't think it's worth it to have to patch and paint the old wall and possibly bring in an electrician at the new place to put in an outlet. And of course there's the missing template . . . . . .

Thanks again.

ps - Don't feel too sorry for the bank, SDC - we tried to do a loan mod for a lot more than it's on the market for now, but they wouldn't hear of it. But you're right - they won't make a profit - it was just a figure of speech.

Last edited by AZJD; 12-21-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

You do realize that if the bank has taken inventory of what is in the home, they can asses you damages and for theft of property they own. As for the bank having time to modify the loan, they are not in the business of being a charity, they are in the business to make a profit for their shareholders. I am sure there is more to the story, than a person not able to pay their loan, and the bank just foreclosing on "their" property. Until you get deed in hand, it is the mortgage company's/bank's property.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #9

Plain range hoods come in standard widths, you might just measure to see if a generic non-vented (light, filter and recirculator fan) model from Home Depot will fit.

You might be able to refinish the area above the stove where the microwave used to be without any difficulty. You could omit installing a new outlet and no one would notice.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
What's a "Tool?"

Again, thanks for the input, everyone.

And while it's tempting, I'll not be feeding the Big Business DB troll.