Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #1

Share |

Interior Dryer Vent Cover

Recently bought a home where they were venting the dryer to the basement. I obviously didn't want to continue doing so. I made a hole through the exterior wall into the laundry room and installed a new dryer vent. What do people typically do to cover the hole on the inside? I have not found any type of "cover" for this like you have for plumbing when pipes come through the wall. Any ideas? I know this obviously is very common as its in every home.

jkuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #2

I don't understand the question. Are you trying to cover the old hole into the basement? Is the hole through an interior wall or the floor? I suppose you could cut a 4" round plug out of wood or I have used leftover 2" rigid foam insulation. The hole could be left as is or be drywalled over or covered with flooring material if in the floor. You could even hang a picture or print over it. They used to make decorative metal coverings for unused chimney outlets when wood stoves were being phased out by central furnaces. I don't know if they still sell them.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #3

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not concerned about the hole in the floor from venting to the basement as I already patched that. I'm referring to the current dryer vent exiting out the exterior wall. I have the vent duct going from the dryer to the dryer vent in the wall. My question is, do they make like an escutcheon to make the vent hole look "good", rather than just a metal vent pipe popping through the wall? Some sort of decorative cover so you don't see a rough hole in the wall. Hope you understand what I'm asking.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Mod

If your talking about the hole in the siding then yes. Go to any decent hardware store and ask for a “exterior exhaust vent“ 3 or 4” depending on the size of your duct work. They come in a couple different styles and colors.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
If your talking about the hole in the siding then yes. Go to any decent hardware store and ask for a “exterior exhaust vent“ 3 or 4” depending on the size of your duct work. They come in a couple different styles and colors.
No, I'm referring to the hole on the interior wall..... I have the exterior exhaust vent installed. I'm talking about the hole you have to cut on the interior wall to allow the vent through.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #6

This discussion may help. Dryer vent through brick
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
This discussion may help. Dryer vent through brick
Yes, however, they are talking about the exterior. I am looking for something decorative to cover up the rough opening for the ducting to pass through the interior wall on its way outside.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #8

when you bought the vent kit it should of had a cover that slides over the tube on the inside. otherwise maybe use those decorative covers that you put on ceiling lights to hide the hole if it's a different size than the original light.

Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote