Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Installing New Gas Range.

I Am Installing New Natural Gas Range. The Main Line Thru The House Is 1 1/4". I Believe I Have To Have A 3/4" Line To The Gas Range, Using Black Steel Pipe. I See No Shut Off Valve In The Main Line. I Guess I Have To Shut Off The Gas From Outside At The Meter. I See 2 Valves One Uses Just A 1/4 Turn To Shut Off The Line. The Other Looks Like A Regular Twist Shut Off Valve. One Is On The Left Of The Meter. One Is On The Right. Both Come Up From The Ground And Both Are 3/4" I Think. How Come From The Meter An 1 1/4" Goes Out Of The Meter To The House? How Does A Smaller Pipe Fill The Bigger One Fast Enough.
Next Question Is Once I Turn Of The Gas And Open It Up Inside The House To Add The 3/4" To Go To The Range, Won't All The Gas In The 1 1/4" Line Spill Out Into The Room. Thats A Lot Of Gas Left In The Line From The Meter. I Am Also In A Basement In A Small Room And No Windows.
Help!

larlombar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #2

How to install a natural gas range?

Frank De Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
HVAC / Plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by larlombar View Post
I Am Installing New Natural Gas Range. The Main Line Thru The House Is 1 1/4". I Believe I Have To Have A 3/4" Line To The Gas Range, Using Black Steel Pipe. I See No Shut Off Valve In The Main Line. I Guess I Have To Shut Off The Gas From Outside At The Meter. I See 2 Valves One Uses Just A 1/4 Turn To Shut Off The Line. The Other Looks Like A Regular Twist Shut Off Valve. One Is On The Left Of The Meter. One Is On The Right. Both Come Up From The Ground And Both Are 3/4" I Think. How Come From The Meter An 1 1/4" Goes Out Of The Meter To The House? How Does A Smaller Pipe Fill The Bigger One Fast Enough.
Next Question Is Once I Turn Of The Gas And Open It Up Inside The House To Add The 3/4" To Go To The Range, Won't All The Gas In The 1 1/4" Line Spill Out Into The Room. Thats A Lot Of Gas Left In The Line From The Meter. I Am Also In A Basement In A Small Room And No Windows.
Help!

you will have to turn the gas off at the meter. The gas utility may have installed a valve for them ( inlet side of the meter set) & a valve on the outlet side for you (outlet side of meter) I don't know withut a pic. the small line that feeds the meter is at a higher perssure on the inlet regulator . That's how it keeps up the volume to your 1 1/4 line. When you turn the gas off outside. Turn your thermostat up on your gas water heater so it will fire. This will burn up any remaining gas in the lines. When you complete your piping job. You should pressure test your lines with air so you will know if you have any leaks
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote