Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #1

Share |

Installing Gas Dryer - DIY job?

Just bought a natural gas dryer from Home Depot. It is set to be delivered next week. I am considering doing the install myself. The laundry room is already set up for a gas dryer except that the furnace is on the other side of the room and I am not sure how to vent the combustion gas from the dryer without running duct work across the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing Gas Dryer - DIY job?-dryer-1.jpg   Installing Gas Dryer - DIY job?-dryer-2.jpg   Installing Gas Dryer - DIY job?-dryer-vent.jpg  

Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #2

Best done by a pro that knows what their doing. What if you don't make a connection right or its not vented properly. Best to install co2 detectors around that area too

Last edited by romex1220; 09-10-2013 at 05:00 PM.
romex1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #3

gas dryer gets vented directly outside with flex duct not to a flue of a boiler furnace.is that a elbow to outside vent hood over the window....get a flex connector and brass adapter for the gas drop connection to the dryer and your done.take the black nipple and cap off the bottom and go in with the brass adapter 3/4MPT X 3/4 flared that takes the flex gas line.dryer package should have a brass fitting to land the flex gas line...into the dryer

Last edited by biggles; 09-10-2013 at 07:31 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #4

Some locations, however simple the work may seem to be, prohibit non-licensed people from working on gas piping. You might check on that.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
I have gas!

I agree with biggles; easy job. Just spray the connections down with soapy water to make sure they don't leak. Big box stores sell the connection kit for this.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
gas dryer gets vented directly outside with flex duct
So ALL exhaust (combustion and dryer air) is funneled out through the flex vent ducting? I thought the combustion air was supposed to be separate?
Old 09-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #7

Combustion and dryer exhaust go out ONE pipe.

Look at the install directions for the dryer. It should tell you how to hook the exhaust up.

NOTE: there are limits as to how long the exhaust can be. It should be in the install directions too.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #8

he mentioned the furnace on the other side of the basement....the vent flex from a dryer is the exiting pipe and only one... do not go near the furnace hard ducted flue piping for the furnace and HWH... he is adding a brass adapter not piping the Alaskian Pipeline....simple piping job it isn't brain surgery.OR get a plumber in to bang you for a couple of $100 bills

Last edited by biggles; 09-11-2013 at 07:13 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
he is adding a brass adapter not piping the Alaskian Pipeline....simple piping job it isn't brain surgery.OR get a plumber in to bang you for a couple of $100 bills
I can't disagree with you. However, that doesn't change the fact that it is illegal in some places for a non-licensed person to do gas work. Such a situation is also common for even the simplest electrical work as well.

It is legal here for me to do my own gas piping, but using soap bubbles won't cut it; a 24-hour air-pressure test is required. How many homeowners are going to have the equipment for that?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #10

yeah, there really isn't much to it.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I can't disagree with you. However, that doesn't change the fact that it is illegal in some places for a non-licensed person to do gas work. Such a situation is also common for even the simplest electrical work as well.

It is legal here for me to do my own gas piping, but using soap bubbles won't cut it; a 24-hour air-pressure test is required. How many homeowners are going to have the equipment for that?
Yep....in those states where the unions own the govt....

Anyway...getting back on topic....

There is already a gas line dropped to where the back of the dryer would be. Add a Tee...on the side connection a shut off valve which the flexible gas line for the dryer will connect to...on the down side...about 4 more inches of pipe with a cap to act as a drip leg.

Assuming that exhaust duct goes straight outside....4' hard duct up to it from the dryer....and you have an operational dryer....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #12
I have gas!

A licensed pipe fitter is not going to do a 24 hour leak test for a job like this.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
A licensed pipe fitter is not going to do a 24 hour leak test for a job like this.
If the job's in my county he will.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #14

Ok, let me clear the air on the legal requirements. I contacted my county permit/inspection office and they confirmed that a licensed installer is NOT required for this work. However, you do need a permit for the work. After several return calls to the permit office (received conflicting information), I discovered that the permit cost is $50 and will include an inspection.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Add a Tee...on the side connection a shut off valve which the flexible gas line for the dryer will connect to...on the down side...about 4 more inches of pipe with a cap to act as a drip leg.

Assuming that exhaust duct goes straight outside....4' hard duct up to it from the dryer....and you have an operational dryer....
I like the idea of having a shut off valve there too in case the dryer needs future work or has to be moved. I also have heard about using the rigid metal ducts (or a periscope type duct as they call it) versus a metal flex duct. The rigid metal duct allows less air disturbance and can even decrease drying times (one report indicated a savings of ten mins off the dry time). It also seems safer versus the flex duct. However, it seems that I would need maybe 6 feet or more to go from the bottom of the dryer to the vent above the window. I have seen 4 foot ones for sale but not larger ones. Any recommendations on that?