Installing A Garbage Disposal - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Installing a garbage disposal

Hello I am installing a garbage disposal for the wife and have a few questions. I haven't purchased one yet looking at the insinkerator brand. I get the plumbing and installation parts but what I'm having trouble with is the electrical part. There is no disposer there currently but there is an electrical outlet under the sink. Would it be easier to buy a disposer with the magnetic switch and just plug it in or install a wall switch and how would I wire the switch. Thanks I think the obvious is the way to go but would like input.

Advertisement

Rmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,056

if you don't have the ability to wire in a wall switch you better get the magnetic stopper one

Advertisement

hardwareman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #3

Ya I'm thinking about going with the magnetic stopper kind. I'm sure I can wire in a wall switch I'm just not sure how to. I think it'll be alot less work just going with the existing outlet. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

you're better off with the continous feed type[wall sw]. they're way less $ and if you have to replace that batch feed down the pike you'll spend $ all over again. you can put a switch under the sink[in front behind door]or put one on the wall. it's a one time thing. go to electrical post sec and ask how-so you'll be on code.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

Dumb question: Is it possible the outlet under the sink was originally installed for a garbage disposal? Is so, it may already be 'switched'.

Do you have any mystery wall switches in the kitchen, near the sink, that don't seem to do anything? If so, plug a lamp into that outlet and see if it turns on and off.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #6

That's what I thought about the outlet. The is a switch but it goes to the light above the sink. I'll still check tho maybe that's originally used for and they just added a piece of wire for the light.

Advertisement