Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Share |

Installing a 4 prong dryer plug

Single mommy here trying to replace a 3 prong plug with a 4 prong plug for my dryer. (It's a newer dryer but we had to put a 3 prong plug on in my last house...need it to be 4 prong now.) I believe I have everything figured out (L to R, black, white, red)...but the green is where I'm confused. There was already a green wire on the dryer that wasn't attached to the original 3 prong plug...seems to be coming from the dryer itself as a ground wire? Please excuse my ignorance but does the dryer's green wire remain and I slip the new 4 prong plug's green wire into the same place and screw them BOTH down or do I remove the dryer's green wire and use only the one from my new 4 prong plug? Thank you in advance!

Amandamayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

the difference between a 3 wire and a 4 wire connection on the dryer is the white (neutral) and the ground (green, bare, or green w/ yellow stripes) are connected to the same terminal of the cord with a 3 wire. With a 4 wire, those 2 are separated and each connect to the respective wire of the cord.

Usually, on the newer dryers, there are 4 terminals and you just connect the cord as required; 2 hot wires (black, red) to the brass screws. Neutral wire to silver screw and ground wire to green screw.

what you need to do is look for a bonding strip that runs from the neutral terminal to the ground terminal or to the frame of the dryer. That bonding strap would need to be disconnected so as to separate the neutral and ground terminals.

if you can take pics of the dryer, it might make it easier to explain to you.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #3

Thank you, nap. Ive attached the pic of the back of my dryer. Of course, I'm sure I don't have to explain what my new 4 prong plug looks like LOL

I think I have most of it...black, white, red, right? Its the green I am wondering about. Do I just removed the screw where the dryer's green wire is and have both the new plug's green wire AND the dryer's green wire on there together?

Thank you again!
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a 4 prong dryer plug-cid__071610135425.jpg  
Old 07-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

leave the dryers green wire then and add the cord's green wire to that termination. so that would be a yes to your question if I read your question correctly.

Look inside to make sure there is no connection between the neutral (silver) terminal and the frame of the dryer or the ground terminal. It's kind of dark and I cannot see in there in the pic.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
leave the dryers green wire then and add the cord's green wire to that termination. so that would be a yes to your question if I read your question correctly.

Look inside to make sure there is no connection between the neutral (silver) terminal and the frame of the dryer or the ground terminal. It's kind of dark and I cannot see in there in the pic.
Oh wow. Thank you! I'll check that!