InSinkerator Issue - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

InSinkerator issue

I have a InSinkerator Emerson e404 garbage disposal. We do not use it alot, but today when I try and turn it on it hums but it will not work. When I use a flashlight to look down it looks like some starchy black and brown material. I can't tell if anything is lodged or not. I use an Allen wrench to try and turn it from the bottom, but it will not budge. How can I loosen up some of the material that is in there now to try and free up the blades since we haven't used it in so long?

Advertisement

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

InSinkerator issue

You've got to get it with that allen wrench... Try spraying some pb blaster down there and letting it soak before trying that allen wrench again.

Advertisement

jfrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #3

InSinkerator issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrotten
You've got to get it with that allen wrench... Try spraying some pb blaster down there and letting it soak before trying that allen wrench again.
What else can I try if I don't have that
Old 12-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #4

InSinkerator issue

Quote:
Found some Blaster , soaked it....I'm applying all the force I have and still nothing. I'm afraid of breaking something.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 316

InSinkerator issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
Found some Blaster , soaked it....I'm applying all the force I have and still nothing. I'm afraid of breaking something.
what you mite do is take a center punch and put it in where the allen wrinch goes and tap with a hammer this may break it loose being it is on a shaft that should have some give also tap from the top also if this doesn't work look's like a new one in in order.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #6

InSinkerator issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler

what you mite do is take a center punch and put it in where the allen wrinch goes and tap with a hammer this may break it loose being it is on a shaft that should have some give also tap from the top also if this doesn't work look's like a new one in in order.
How can I loosen I from the top. Vinegar and hot water? Alot of starchy looking stuff in there.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

InSinkerator issue

Do not use center punch. First get a wooden handle off of a plunger, for example, then put it in from top and try to get it hooked on one of the blades and rotate the unit that way. I have un stuck many that way.
smudge123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #8

InSinkerator issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge123
Do not use center punch. First get a wooden handle off of a plunger, for example, then put it in from top and try to get it hooked on one of the blades and rotate the unit that way. I have un stuck many that way.
Clockwise?
Old 12-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #9

InSinkerator issue

Yes clockwise. Get the wood handle on those metal blade looking things inside disposal. You can get better leverage from above than with allen wrench below. You can use a lot of force also.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 268

InSinkerator issue

Have you tried turning the allen wrench both directions? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question, but I have had to "rock" mine back and forth sometimes. A wooden spoon handle also works good from the top. Last option would be to turn off the breaker, remove the disposal, turn it up side down, and bang it on something like a piece of plywood. Good luck
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to packer_rich For This Useful Post:
Willie T (12-18-2011)
Old 12-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #11

InSinkerator issue

They sell a very cheap metal tool for this at home depot. It's like ten bucks. The only problem with the dispoal tool is that the rivet on it usually breaks during the first use. Buy the tool and als buy a bolt and nut to replace the rivet with. Take the tool out of the package, drill out the rivet and replace it with the nut and bolt. Then, stick it in the disposal from the top and turn either way until it moves freely. Save the tool for when this happns again. I have one of these I carry in my tool bag and between this, pb blaster and some ice you can fix\tune up most disposals.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #12

InSinkerator issue

The drum turns both ways. So u can work it back and forth. Clockwise and counter clockwise
Old 12-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #13

InSinkerator issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer_rich
Have you tried turning the allen wrench both directions? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question, but I have had to "rock" mine back and forth sometimes. A wooden spoon handle also works good from the top. Last option would be to turn off the breaker, remove the disposal, turn it up side down, and bang it on something like a piece of plywood. Good luck
Yes. The socket is just way too tight.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #14

InSinkerator issue

Quote:
They sell a very cheap metal tool for this at home depot. It's like ten bucks. The only problem with the dispoal tool is that the rivet on it usually breaks during the first use. Buy the tool and als buy a bolt and nut to replace the rivet with. Take the tool out of the package, drill out the rivet and replace it with the nut and bolt. Then, stick it in the disposal from the top and turn either way until it moves freely. Save the tool for when this happns again. I have one of these I carry in my tool bag and between this, pb blaster and some ice you can fix\tune up most disposals.
Pb blaster should be sprayed on the socket below correct. Not on actual bolt inside which is in the middle
Old 12-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #15

InSinkerator issue

Name:  ForumRunner_20111218_114115.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  27.6 KB

Advertisement