Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Icemaker leaks

Maytag refrigerator model MTB2456AE.
Recently noticed that instead of ice cubes, I was getting ice cubes frozen in a block of ice. Started watching it and it seems to be leaking right after the fill cycle with the water dripping into the ice cube catch tray.
Haven't torn it apart yet but from the parts explodes I've seen it seems to be a sealed unit with no user replaceable parts.
Any ideas or is it ice maker time? Any ideas why it would suddenly start leaking after 10+ years of service?

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
jschaben

Icemaker leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWhite View Post
Have you changed the temperatures any?
Hi Mark - Thanks for the response.
Haven't changed the settings, if anything they will occasionally get bumped higher due to the way they are located. It's definately a leak. The leak stops when the water in the area of the leak freezes which is likely why I haven't got a brick the size of the catch tray, rather than cubes inside the block.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,036

Icemaker leaks

most likely unit is taking to much water and overflowing, there is an adjustment screw on the side of the head but I've always found that to be a temporary fix. Your probably going to need a new ice maker.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
jschaben

Icemaker leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
most likely unit is taking to much water and overflowing, there is an adjustment screw on the side of the head but I've always found that to be a temporary fix. Your probably going to need a new ice maker.
Hi - that would make sense except it's been virtually trouble free for 10 years... along that line though, maybe the fill valve is gummed up (calcified or whatever) and isn't closing fully?

Old 07-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,036

Icemaker leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Hi - that would make sense except it's been virtually trouble free for 10 years... along that line though, maybe the fill valve is gummed up (calcified or whatever) and isn't closing fully?
what does being trouble free for 10 years have to do with anything? The #1 reason for ice maker replacements is because they come out of adjustment and overfill. But if you want to make sure its not the valve simply lift the bale arm and see what happens. If you have a clump of ice in the bucket after a few days then replace the valve
Old 07-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
jschaben

Icemaker leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
what does being trouble free for 10 years have to do with anything? The #1 reason for ice maker replacements is because they come out of adjustment and overfill. But if you want to make sure its not the valve simply lift the bale arm and see what happens. If you have a clump of ice in the bucket after a few days then replace the valve
I didn't mean to come across ungrateful for the response, I apologize if I did. It just didn't seem plausible that a screw adjustment would come undone without some sort of help.
I do leave them bale arm up regularly. When I first got the fridge, I had a problem with it in that at a certain level, the ice in the catch bin was supposed to maintain the bail at a shutoff level. At a certain point, it could, and sometimes did, achieve a level that was sort of in the middle, neither on nor off. After replacing it a couple of times under warranty, the best course seemed to be just shut the thing off completely (lift the bail) and wait until sufficient ice had been used to lower the ice level and then turn it back on. I emptied the bin a few days ago and left the bail up and didn't have any ice in the bottom. That leads me to believe there is a leak in the ice cube mold. Although, I admit, that does not completely rule out your adjustment theory.