Ice Maker Tubing - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

ice maker tubing

Is vinyl tubing the wrong tubing to use for an ice maker or will the taste that is in the ice eventually go away? Thanks

Advertisement

florpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

ice maker tubing

If it's a new fridge it's recommended to throw away the first couple/few batches of ice. A filter either before the fridge or built into the fridge on some models will also help.
Do you mean your supply line to the fridge is plastic? Shouldn't affect the taste.....though as with any other new feed system added I'd be sure to bleed it out before hooking it up to the fridge.

Advertisement

dsconstructs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

ice maker tubing

You mean plastic-not vinyl, correct?? if that's the cause you should also have off tasting water from dispenser. if only ice is a problem it's likely due to picking up odors from stored food or plastic bags. no model/serial # so assume this is new refrig.. dump all the ice and as soon as you get new ice-see if that is bad. ..If you want to do this job properly with no future service problems due to install; use copper or s/s supply with a regular shut off valve.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

ice maker tubing

It is a clear vinyl tubing and the refrigerator does not have a dispenser
florpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
bsa_bob

Rewards Points: 150

ice maker tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
You mean plastic-not vinyl, correct?? if that's the cause you should also have off tasting water from dispenser. if only ice is a problem it's likely due to picking up odors from stored food or plastic bags. no model/serial # so assume this is new refrig.. dump all the ice and as soon as you get new ice-see if that is bad. ..If you want to do this job properly with no future service problems due to install; use copper or s/s supply with a regular shut off valve.
Mines been plastic for 18 years, no problems. btw where do you find 8' of 1/4" ss line???????????? and the problem i would think with ss would be Everytime you move your frig out to clean'[least once a year] that darn ice making line is moving around all over the place. thats when it wears out.and cracks Vinyl doesn't lend itself to this cracking very often.They come packaged , with vinyl line ,i'm sure they have tested its worthiness a few times. hth
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,070

ice maker tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob View Post
Mines been plastic for 18 years, no problems. btw where do you find 8' of 1/4" ss line???????????? and the problem i would think with ss would be Everytime you move your frig out to clean'[least once a year] that darn ice making line is moving around all over the place. thats when it wears out.and cracks Vinyl doesn't lend itself to this cracking very often.They come packaged , with vinyl line ,i'm sure they have tested its worthiness a few times. hth

stainless steele braided supply lines come in just about any length you want and they are not stiff and rigid they are flexable, way better than plastic. I can not count the number of times that I have run service for a broken plastic supply line, I would never have one. I do know that some insurance companies are now banning its use because of the millions of dollars in claims.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #7

ice maker tubing

You can use copper also.
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
bsa_bob

ice maker tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
stainless steele braided supply lines come in just about any length you want and they are not stiff and rigid they are flexable, way better than plastic. I can not count the number of times that I have run service for a broken plastic supply line, I would never have one. I do know that some insurance companies are now banning its use because of the millions of dollars in claims.
Insurance claims on plastic tubing, don't seem to be a problem around mich, Stainless steel ---i think copper would be the best bet if i was to replace mine, or plastic again for another 18 years, To each is own. i said plastic the second time----theres a huge difference in plastic and vinylized plastic tubing, I had a yellow clear plastic line on one of my showbikes-i had a couple guys metion the fact to me that the plastic hardens with heat,therefors cracks..First time stainless crinkles into a 90 while making nice neat bends , it would not stay for the next bend,to do the same thing!! a novice will have a hard time with hard line. Jmo
Old 07-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,070

ice maker tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob View Post
.First time stainless crinkles into a 90 while making nice neat bends , it would not stay for the next bend,to do the same thing!! a novice will have a hard time with hard line. Jmo
what part of flexible braided stainless did you not understand?
Old 07-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

ice maker tubing

As a DIY'r I opt for copper tubing. I had one of the kids hamsters get out one night and the dog woke me about 3AM so I would know it wasn't her who put the 1/2" of water throughout the kitchen and mud room.
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

ice maker tubing

I purposely avoided commenting on the plastic line the first time, now for my vote.

My preference on the subject.....rigid copper from below (obviously unless it's slab) up through the wall into a flush mount box w/shutoff and braided stainless line to the fridge.
Next is flexible copper, then plastic....
If it's a slab and has to be ran from from elsewhere, from under the sink with dual outlet shutoff valve.
NO saddle valves EVER
dsconstructs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #12
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

ice maker tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsconstructs View Post
I purposely avoided commenting on the plastic line the first time, now for my vote.

My preference on the subject.....rigid copper from below (obviously unless it's slab) up through the wall into a flush mount box w/shutoff and braided stainless line to the fridge.
If it's a slab and has to be ran from from elsewhere, from under the sink with dual outlet shutoff valve.
NO saddle valves EVER

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
bsa_bob

ice maker tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsconstructs View Post

NO saddle valves EVER
Why do you suppse they would put the plastic tubing and the saddle valve, in the box you get with the ice.maker in it?? Its beyond me!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
bsa_bob

ice maker tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
what part of flexible braided stainless did you not understand?
Sorry i just had never seen 10' long flexible s/s tubing.Didn't mean to p-you off. for that matter i have never seen s/s solid that long either.

Advertisement