Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #1

Share |

Ice Maker Stopped Working

I have a Kenmore Coldspot model no. 51562101 and a couple months ago our ice maker stopped working. Water still comes out of it but it doesn't make ice any longer. I haven't tried fixing it yet and was reading through a few forums and it sounds like the likely problems are a frozen line and a frozen water inlet valve. I'm not sure how I would check out the solenoid. Is there any thing else I should check out or should I just pull out the ice maker then any lines I see inside the refrigerator. Then do I need to check the water inlet valve? I wasn't sure since I am getting water out of the front of the refrigerator if it could be the water inlet valve? Does anyone have a service manual for the ice maker that comes on this fridge? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

bsmith95610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

does the icemaker cycle?? icemaker motor may be bad, other possabilities would be the water valve, or maybe a frozen fill tube. first step would be to see if the icemaker cycles then go from there.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman
does the icemaker cycle?? icemaker motor may be bad, other possabilities would be the water valve, or maybe a frozen fill tube. first step would be to see if the icemaker cycles then go from there.
When you say does the icemaker cycle. How would I test that out?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #4

Turn it on and watch it?
msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #5

Quote:
What does it mean does the icemaker cycle?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

have you ever seen the icemaker going through a cycle? I can tell you how to advance it into a cycle but I would have to know if it is the old style icemaker or the newer style with an electronic module.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:
have you ever seen the icemaker going through a cycle? I can tell you how to advance it into a cycle but I would have to know if it is the old style icemaker or the newer style with an electronic module.
Attached is a picture of the ice maker I don't know if this will help you tell if this is a newer one or an older one. When you saying going through the cycle are you just talking about making ice? It doesn't make ice at all currently.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

ok that helps, the ice bucket is in the door right? call a qualified service tech. Unless you are real handy thats not really a DIY repair, but I can tell you that those icemakers have a high failure rate.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
ok that helps, the ice bucket is in the door right? call a qualified service tech. Unless you are real handy thats not really a DIY repair, but I can tell you that those icemakers have a high failure rate.
Yes, the ice bucket is in the door. Should I even bother checking the lines to make sure they aren't frozen or would that probably be a waste of time?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

yeah, pretty much a waste of time.