Ice Maker Stopped Working. - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ice maker stopped working.

I have a KitchenAid SidebySide refrigerator Model # KSRI22FNWH that was purchased in 2004. The ice maker just stopped making ice. I checked the troubleshooting section of the owner’s manual and it was worthless because I already knew that it needed to be plugged in, switch turned to on, and the thermostat set to below freezing.

So now I am to the next step of asking the expert. Just to make sure that there was enough water in the ice maker I added some more using a cup and it is now full. However, the ice did not come out of the ice maker after 24hrs. The dispenser light sensor on the R/H side of the freezer is now red and blinks twice then pauses for a bit and then repeats with the flapper door covering the light path. With the flapper door out of the way the light is a constant red and goes out with the door closed.

Advertisement

HomerH209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,056

optics lights tell the story. open freezer door, the optics should blink 2 times and then pause for 1 second, now close the flapper door with your hand, the optics should be steady on all the time. these Whirlpool in the door icemakers give us more problems than any other, you probably have a bad icemaker. I've replaced a whole bunch of these units.

Advertisement

hardwareman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The optic light performs just as you discribed. Blinks twice and then goes out for a second, and with the flapper door closed the light is on. The only time the light is off is when the main door is closed.
HomerH209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,056

take it for what it is worth but I'd say the icemaker is bad. if you really want to be sure pull the icemaker out, take off the cover, you will see 4 test holes on the front. each one has a letter beside it. place a jumper wire between t and h . hold the optics flapper down, the red light should be on, after 5 seconds the icemaker should start a cycle. if it does not start then you have a bad icemaker.
hardwareman is online now   Reply With Quote