Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #1

Share |

Ice dispenser flapper door won't close - Whirlpool Side By Side

Hello! I have a Whirlpool side by side fridge that came with my house when I bought it.

The flapper door on the ice maker won't close after I dispense ice. It stays about half open.

I tried closing it with my hand, and sometimes it'll close but this time it's stuck.

For the time being, I have a rag shoved down the ice chute so cold air doesn't leak out of the freezer. Before I did that, the ice would melt and freeze the door shut.

I've done some reading on this, but I couldn't find a definitive answer. Some people said there's a "repair kit". Some people said there's a stuck part.

Not sure who to believe.

Anyone have this issue before?

Thanks!

Homer
homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #2

Model #?
If its the mechanical style dispenser then it probably is a broken mounting tab. The problem is the mounting tab is part of the complete door. The kit you mentioned was designed to fix it by adding a metal bracket in place of the plastic tab on the door.
If it is a newer electronic style dispenser then the little chute door motor may have failed, but most of the failures I've seen so far with that motor was failure to open, not close.
TReally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:54 AM   #3

Thanks for the great information! I'll post the model number as soon as I get home from work. I'll try taking it apart and seeing what I can find.

Homer
homerb is offline   Reply With Quote